General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purging at Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:19 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

All you "purgers" are bulimic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G7bNUkiwQA

Old 08-06-2010, 02:24 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Now that my head has stopped spinning from reading this post, and agree it is too ****. But I will raise this question, last time I changed my oil I noticed a plug on the bottom of the sump, couldnt this be pulled and the sump will drain?

Its loctited in,, I ve read some have even cracked there case trying to get it out.. So I for one ain't gonna try to remove it.

Also I've read theres only 5oz's or so of oil that stays in the sump. so less than 4% of the old oil stays in .. The oil level when checked afterwards dosen't show or look dirty at all..

Old 08-06-2010, 02:54 PM
coupe55
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scavenger

I believe the tool to get the other quart of oil out is called the scavenger!
You thread it into the plug beside your oil pan plug that has the internal allen head or hex head.

You are running on a full clean quart of oil as your bikes runs and you leave your oil drain open as it drains the old oil. When the oil starts running clear or bubbles in the line stuck in the oil can form. You are done.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:08 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bagman1
Now that my head has stopped spinning from reading this post, and agree it is too ****. But I will raise this question, last time I changed my oil I noticed a plug on the bottom of the sump, couldnt this be pulled and the sump will drain?
I remove this plug everytime I change the oil on the Wife's Deluxe. You only get about 6-8 oz of oil from there, someimes more.

Don't use thread locker on this as it is pipe threads. I use pipe dope.
And be sure to not over tighten it, pipe plugs are tapered. No need to run the risk of cracking your case.

As for scavenging, I agree with the others....overkill.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:28 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too much trouble for too little difference in my opinion.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:58 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master

When you change oil, you only drain the tank. You will leave over 1/2 quart dirty oil in engine & lines. www.roguechopper.com makes an exellent kit to purge all the oil and not run the engine dry at any time. It ain't cheap but when you make a total oil change, then you will add back the prescribed amount. www will demonstrate it.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:07 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master

Yes Rogue Chopper's kit is a scavenger. Ain't gettin' inna pizzin contest but PLEASE H-D LOVERS, LOOK AT PREVIOUS POST for demo......www

Old 08-06-2010, 04:09 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm **** about many things with my ride! That's not one of them.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:20 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the oil scavenger every time I change my oil (http://www.roguechopper.com/). It works well. In my 07 Heritage there is a full quart of old oil that stays in the bike after I pull the plug and drain the tank. I like having all new oil in my bike when I do an oil change. Many will and have said that leaving this old oil in the bike at oil change time is ok and not a big deal, I am betting that they are probably right. But I personally like to do a complete blood transfusion. The bike is never starved for oil when you do this, you just do a normal oil change with the oil filter bypass screwed on in place of the filter. Fill the bike up with your new oil, pull the return line from the tank start the bike up and let it pump until clean oil comes out. Remove the scavenger, install your new oil filter and add in new oil of whatever got pumped out as old.

Overkill? it probably is, but changing the oil in my bike is a rather therapeutic experience for me

Paul in Colorado

Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master

wbOzrd, thanks, you made my day letting folks on this Forum know someone besides me believes in a TOTAL oil change. Folks here have jumped my stuff about being so **** about maintenance on my Davidson,good to hear a good word. I have no tie with rogue but bet if 25% of members check into this system, ruguechopper stock will skyrocket.........

Quick Reply: Purging at Oil Change?