General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sissy bar bag - Saddle Bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 PM
KHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sissy bar bag - Saddle Bags

Okay, I've done my homework and used that wonderful Search tool. And I've even come up with some fairly good info on the subject, though didn't quite find what I was hoping for (hoping I didn't miss it out there and create a new thread for nothing, if so, I apologize and Mods please feel free to delete this thread). So I'm hoping you fine people here might be able to lend some suggestions.

What I'm looking for is a sissy bar bag. Now I'm wanting something in leather and I kinda need something on the bigger side of things. I want to go with the bag look rather than the suitcase look. I guess when I picture it in my head, I'm looking for something along the lines of a ruck sack (military backpack) in terms of style and looks (now if anyone know of a sure fire way to mount a ruck and to waterproof the bag itself, then I'm all for that!).

Also, I'd like to find a pair of throw-over style saddle bags. Sort of like what you'd find on a horse back in the day. I kind of like that old rustic/rugged look. Also, any way to mount them without installing brackets?

I hope I've explained things in a clear manner, if not, let me know and I will add whatever details I need too. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

~Kalvin

Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you and me both brother....

the throw over bags will rub the paint off eventually, i'm trying to figure out a way to keep the frame from rubbing off, a fender i can respray.

most saddlebags can just be tossed over or under the seat and off you go, but it will hit the fender and frame causing wear. but the brackets look terrible so it's probably worth it.

the sissy bar bags might be an angle i go for too...

Last edited by babalu; 08-02-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:42 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KHD
Also, any way to mount them without installing brackets?~Kalvin
Search-- EZ Brackets, Ghost Brackets....

Last edited by hollowpoint; 08-02-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:45 PM
rentalguy1
Banned

I looked for the old west style, narrow bags, but couldn't find any either.

For the paint rubbing off, try aviation grade teflon tape on the part of the saddlebags that touch the bike. You'll probably have to find it online. I still have a little bit left over from work, thankfully.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

have you checked on swingarm bags?

Attached Thumbnails Sissy bar bag - Saddle Bags-swingarm-bag.jpg  
Old 08-02-2010, 09:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

+1 for swing arm bags!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com sells nice ruck sacks, and the back of the Harley catalog has them in leather.............Throw over saddlebags (cowboy style) can be had by goggling Tack and Feed supplies online. I got mine for about $40. Although I cut them and mounted them as not to rub the paint.

Last edited by SteveO-ll; 08-02-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM
KHD
Advanced

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll try to touch base on each of them briefly.

babalu-- That's what I'm worried about too... the rubbing... would hate to mess up the black denim paint on the Train.

rentalguy1-- I'll check into the tape you mentioned, sounds like a pretty good idea. Thanks! And yeah, I'm striking out on the old west style bags too, though I haven't given up looking... yet.

hollowpoint-- I saw the Ghost Brackets, but from the looks of them they work with hard bags. Do they also work with soft bags too? If so, that's cool and I like the idea of them a lot!

aviator & soft 02-- I do really like the looks and style of the swing arm bags (can't view pics on here yet, but I did Google them). Question though, do they interfere with the passenger foot pegs, as I do have my son on the back of the bike sometimes and he will be taking a trip with me on the bike next summer from here, to New Orleans and on up to Iowa for a visit.

Again, thanks to everyone for the quick replies. You guys are a wealth of knowledge and joining HDF is one of the smartest things I've done!

~Kalvin

Old 08-02-2010, 10:15 PM
KHD
Advanced

Originally Posted by SteveO-ll
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com sells nice ruck sacks, and the back of the Harley catalog has them in leather.............Throw over saddlebags (cowboy style) can be had by goggling Tack and Feed supplies online. I got mine for about $40. Although I cut them and mounted them as not to rub the paint.
Sorry I didn't include you on my last post (must have been typing at the same time!). Thanks for the link and the suggestions. I'll check the link as I had to leave my ruck back in Iowa when I moved and was wondering where a good place to pick another up would be. And I'll do some searching on the Tack and Feed bags too.

All of you have definitely helped put me on the right track!

~Kalvin

Old 08-02-2010, 11:19 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KHD
hollowpoint-- I saw the Ghost Brackets, but from the looks of them they work with hard bags. Do they also work with soft bags too? If so, that's cool and I like the idea of them a lot!~Kalvin
They work with a leather bag, but motorcycle bags usually have a rigid back that would irritate a horse. With a weak backed bag I believe you would need to install something (1/4" plywood?) for EZ brackets.

Stev0-11 has a real fine set-up. I wonder how he did it.

Quick Reply: Sissy bar bag - Saddle Bags