Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving with the Military

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 04:11 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 594 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Moving with the Military

Question for you military bubbas and anyone else with experience;

Have you ever let the military move your bike? Would you let them move your bike?

I am moving from Illinois to Maryland.

Any stories about this?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:27 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for the Gov't and move every couple of years. I am moving from IL. to CA on the 12th of August. They will move my bike if I want but I choose to trailer it myself. This is my 5th relocation in the last 10 years and have always moved it myself, just feel better about it. I am too **** about my bike and don't trust them to move it. I have used United the last 4x and am using Paul Arpin this time. I hear great things about them. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:41 PM
*Merlin*
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I let Uncle move my FLT from Illinois to Florida back in the late 80,s. Paul Arpin if memory serves. Well I find a place to live in Panama City and they bring my house hold goods. Boxes get unloaded and inventoried. After a couple hours the guy says, "well thats it". You guessed it no 1981 FLT. The guy called the wharehouse and it was still there waiting. They sent it out that day, but I don't think my heart is right even to this day.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

LOL..in 88 I had them move my used Beemer R 100T. It came thru OK. I am just trying to remember how they moved it.

Warrior Redleg
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never let them move my bike. Bought a motorcycle trailer and moved it myself everytime. It was just one thing i couldnt trust them with even though they did very good in moving everything else.......

Desertram800
Cruiser

I recently moved out to Nevada, and I rented a haul and trailered my dyna myself. Easy, and worry free, plus keep your receipts, and weigh your vehicle before and with the loaded trailer, and you'll get reimbursed. Plus, my movers are always some crazy looking meth-heads, and were super shady, so who knows how many miles they probably would have put on it while enroute. I did let them move my dirt bike, and I just made sure I drained the tank before.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master

Originally Posted by army_eod
LOL..in 88 I had them move my used Beemer R 100T. It came thru OK. I am just trying to remember how they moved it.

I know from Ft. Sill and Germany, you had to notify them quite a while in advacnce. They would come out and build a crate for it. It got shipped on the truck with the rest of your stuff. From Germany it was a little differant. That thing had to be spotless. But again it was crated and sent back by ship.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
army_eod
Road Warrior

Looks like Plan A....U Haul trailer behind my Jeep Liberty..

Old 08-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Warrior Redleg
Road Master

Where at in Maryland you going? Brother is at Mead now....

Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 PM
HillBilly73
Tourer

I've had my bike moved 5 times in the last 17yrs i've been in, and have no problems att all. Bike ships with your household goods in a crate by its self. Hell I moved a brand new fatboy in 2004 from Italy back to the US, bike came out looking the same as it went in. Now what I did is Itold the guys shipping it that I didn't care if they broke everything so long as my bike came out safely. But if your still worried if you have a trailer or can rent 1 go for it, just make shore it's tied down good. Oh yeah almost forgot, if you do have them ship it, take pictures lots of them do a before box up pic on all four sides, and lots of pics of it being loaded and unloaded at the destination.

Quick Reply: Moving with the Military