General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Bryanp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Independence, Missouri targeting Bikers?

So, for the third time in less than a week, a group of bikers have been seen on the side of I-70 in Independence, Missouri, with multiple law enforcment officers going through their bikes and such. Anyone heard of anything about that city targeting bikers lately. Seem pretty convienent since I-70 is a major route for alot of bikes to use headed to Sturgis.
Just curious is all.

Last edited by Bryanp; 08-02-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: title edit
Old 08-02-2010, 05:29 PM
jlandis874
Cruiser

If the cops were going through the "bikes and such" then they either had probable cause or they had the riders consent to do so.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

yeah, and it was either tuesday or it wasn't...... that didn't answer the question.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
jlandis874
Cruiser

Originally Posted by skratch
yeah, and it was either tuesday or it wasn't...... that didn't answer the question.
It's the best answer I see here so far.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:01 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by jlandis874
If the cops were going through the "bikes and such" then they either had probable cause or they had the riders consent to do so.
Third possibility is that they simply did what they wanted to do without probable cause or consent. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:10 PM
jlandis874
Cruiser

Originally Posted by pococj
Third possibility is that they simply did what they wanted to do without probable cause or consent. Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last.
And if the cops did that and got away with it then its the bikers fault for letting them. You can't go through peoples stuff on the side of the road no matter what badge you're wearing without a warrant, probable cause or consent.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:19 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,838 Likes on 2,548 Posts

Their train of thought is "I have a gun and a badge, any questions?" Would not be surprised the Independence PD or state police got some complaints somewhere about them noisy bikers on the interstate. A simple "no" would cause even more headaches for the owner and probably a trip to a garage to "inspect for contraband". Meanwhile at least 50 more illegals just entered their state somewhere some how.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:24 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj
what would happen if a LEO stopped me on the way to Sturgis...asked if they could search the bike and such and were told not without a warrant (not that I have anything to hide anyway but it's the principle of unlawful search) What kinda crap would I be looking at being a Canadian ?

Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be incarceration, while they check you and your ride out, no matter where you're from.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:30 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to me peeps are making a lot of to-do over something they know nothing about. Bikers stopped on side of road with cops going through their stuff...who knows why? If you know the bikers, ask them...if not...what can we do about it???? A waste of time speculating without any info. maybe they were a gang of bank-robbers???terrorists running C4???Kidnappers smuggling babies in their saddlbags??
Any other ideas to keep this thread going?

Quick Reply: Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?