General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 11:28 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Unfortunately in PA the Pa supreme court just ruled that Cops can search your car without a warrant all they need is "probable Cause" and we all know cops never lie....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...thout-warrant/

FYI..I am not cop bashing just stating facts!
This is nothing more than the state court saying what the SCOTUS has already said, which is that vehicle searches are an exception to the 4th amendment requirement for a search warrant as long as there is probable cause.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:31 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,042 Likes on 17,930 Posts

Originally Posted by jlandis874
If the cops were going through the "bikes and such" then they either had probable cause or they had the riders consent to do so.
Originally Posted by jlandis874
And if the cops did that and got away with it then its the bikers fault for letting them. You can't go through peoples stuff on the side of the road no matter what badge you're wearing without a warrant, probable cause or consent.
What dream world you live in ? sounds all nice and politically correct . Having lived and rode many years in that very area I can tell you the cops do whatever the hell they want anytime they want to and probable cause is made up on the spot and I've seen a night stick take out a tail light to justify it . Say no and now your *** is face down on the hot blacktop or frying on the hood of a still running car and you ***** getting towed in a not so nice way . Stuff a sock in it .......

Old 06-13-2014, 12:13 PM
rapid49
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
What dream world you live in ? sounds all nice and politically correct . Having lived and rode many years in that very area I can tell you the cops do whatever the hell they want anytime they want to and probable cause is made up on the spot and I've seen a night stick take out a tail light to justify it . Say no and now your *** is face down on the hot blacktop or frying on the hood of a still running car and you ***** getting towed in a not so nice way . Stuff a sock in it .......
Obviously a lot of people on this forum have not seen what goes on in the real world. There are a lot of good cops out there that will respect your rights and abide by the law. There are also many cops that will do what they want in spite of your rights , and most of the time they know how to get away with it. I personaly have been on the wrong end of this several times , and I have had friends that were cops that would brag about what they did and how they got away with it. I believe in standing up for my rights but that is not as easy as some here would believe.

Old 06-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,369 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by mmancuso
This is nothing more than the state court saying what the SCOTUS has already said, which is that vehicle searches are an exception to the 4th amendment requirement for a search warrant as long as there is probable cause.

Doesn't make it right. The biggest issue I have with this is the Probable Cause. Why will a court just take a word of a cop?? The cause should need to be proven..cops are people....people lie and make stuff up all the time..the badge doesn't take this fact away

Old 06-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Hippie49
Elite HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by rapid49
Obviously a lot of people on this forum have not seen what goes on in the real world. There are a lot of good cops out there that will respect your rights and abide by the law. There are also many cops that will do what they want in spite of your rights , and most of the time they know how to get away with it. I personaly have been on the wrong end of this several times , and I have had friends that were cops that would brag about what they did and how they got away with it. I believe in standing up for my rights but that is not as easy as some here would believe.
and I have had friends that were cops that would brag about what they did and how they got away with it. Some real nice company you were keeping.

Old 06-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Ironhand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scudda
Doesn't make it right. The biggest issue I have with this is the Probable Cause. Why will a court just take a word of a cop?? The cause should need to be proven..cops are people....people lie and make stuff up all the time..the badge doesn't take this fact away
Really? They will believe a cop over any citizen as to the fact the cop has taken a "oath" to uphold the law. Who do you the judge will believe a cop or a 23 year old man with long hair and beard? I learned that 37 years ago. Have had headlights broken, mirrors broken, just so a ticket could be written when the cop pull me over looking for wants and warrants. Nowadays with what passes for bikers these day it doesn't happen as much.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:06 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
But what if you're not a criminal, not into any kind of criminal activities and are not wanted for any kind of criminal offenses? And are not carrying any kind of illegal substances or whatever? What then?

Let 'em look all they want. They're looking for somebody else. Somebody else that might get a little riled if they want to look through their stuff.

My son made an interesting comment about stuff like this the other day. It's the criminally minded that don't like it. I wonder why?
Bull Crap.

If you and your son want to roll over and show them your belly that's fine. We have rights. When they show up at your door just let them in and tell them to look at whatever they want. What the Hell, it's not like anyone died to protect you from that kind of thing.

Your son should go back to school.

Last edited by dribble; 06-13-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,945 Likes on 4,025 Posts

Are the bikers being stopped members of any outlaw MCs or just regular riders?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:09 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikelove
Are the bikers being stopped members of any outlaw MCs or just regular riders?
For crying out loud. This is a 4 year old thread that someone revived.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:24 PM
Ikelove
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 12,945 Likes on 4,025 Posts

Well, I did not revive the thread.

Quick Reply: Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?