General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:38 AM
tracykele897
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funniest thing i ever had happen was a cop pulled me over and asked me "Do you know why i stopped you?". I said "no" and he told me if i had time he wanted to look at the restored Norton Commando i was riding. I laughed and said sure and we talked about Nortons for a while. Most stops don't go that well.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 06-13-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:00 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

As a former officer I can tell u best thing to so is keep your mouth shut when talking to police. They ask if they can search just say " no I don't consent to any searches or seizures....am I free to go?". Most will just sit there untill they say you can leave but if you ask am I free to go they have to either set you free or have cause to detain you. Police like to ask a lot of questions so just politely say you aren't answering any questions or being subject to interrogation...,am I free to go?.if your not then ask what your being detained for.

9 times out of 10 probable cause comes from the words in your mouth. Sure you can look. No I don't care if you search my bags. Yes I'll answer all your questions ect ect ect. Yea I smoked weed 10 hours ago. Yep I had a beer this morning.

Just keep mouth shut. Show license registration insurance....ask if your free to go and don't play the interrogation game

Last edited by JohnnyRebKY; 06-13-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:12 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I wonder how much "targeting" has happened in the 3 years since this thread was made?

Old 06-13-2014, 09:35 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
But what if you're not a criminal, not into any kind of criminal activities and are not wanted for any kind of criminal offenses? And are not carrying any kind of illegal substances or whatever? What then?
You have a constitutional right to not be randomly searched by some clown with a badge....That's what!

Let 'em look all they want.

Like HELL I will.....They don't have a legal right to search.

They're looking for somebody else. Somebody else that might get a little riled if they want to look through their stuff.
They can search the person that they're looking for then....Not just anyone they choose to harass.

My son made an interesting comment about stuff like this the other day. It's the criminally minded that don't like it. I wonder why?

I would say, because your son has bought into the weakness that is modern America....So have you, apparently.

The reason that these "Thugs with Badges" get away with this crap is because so many Americans are pussified into not saying "no" to them!

I will stand there and wait for the sniffer dog and I will gladly go to jail to stand up for my right as an American citizen, not to be searched randomly, although it has never gone that far because "The Blue Gang" usually (reluctantly) backs down when faced with a citizen that actually knows and understands his rights.

You wanna roll over and let them step on your neck....Go for it!

I, for one, am not gonna take this crap lying down, besides it's fun to watch them react to someone that doesn't "roll over" for their B.S!

Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I wonder how much "targeting" has happened in the 3 years since this thread was made?

To answer your question....Probably quite a bit.
The problem is getting worse every year.

Now, as to the apparent "intent" of your question.

Who cares how old the thread is?
The information is still information, is it not?

Why do so many people whine when an old thread get resurrected?
If someone has something to say.....It's a forum isn't it?
By virtue of it being a forum, people will add to what is already there.
If that's a big problem for the forum, maybe they should just lock threads that are older than a certain age...If not, perhaps the "resurrected thread police" should stop crying about it.

Last edited by Greezey Rider; 06-13-2014 at 09:55 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

NEVER consent to a search. NEVER talk to the police, except for the essentials: "Am I being detained? Am I free to go" Live free. Cops are NOT your friends; if you are in their sites, your freedom is in danger, always.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by jlandis874
And if the cops did that and got away with it then its the bikers fault for letting them. You can't go through peoples stuff on the side of the road no matter what badge you're wearing without a warrant, probable cause or consent.
Seriously ?? Happens every single day here and to me personally more than once. They do what they want whenever they want its your word against theirs and you lose.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:33 AM
Scudda
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,369 Likes on 971 Posts

Unfortunately in PA the Pa supreme court just ruled that Cops can search your car without a warrant all they need is "probable Cause" and we all know cops never lie....

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014...thout-warrant/

FYI..I am not cop bashing just stating facts!

Old 06-13-2014, 10:45 AM
FL450
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Irony that this is happening in a town named Independence. Doubtful that the guy pulling into town in his Learjet gets the same treatment.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:46 AM
DM426
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 772 Likes on 369 Posts

We all know there are bad cops. But here's a news flash for you: there are also tons of bad people in every village, town, city, organization, profession, and club. I was career military, and happy "brotherhood" talk aside, I'm painfully aware that there are just as many complete douches in the military as there are in any other walk of life. Some would argue perhaps even more.

Some of you need to get over yourselves. When you find a way to ensure there are never any ******** and/or self-important ****** in the police force, you be sure to let the rest of us know. Because once we have the secret formula, then we can go about weeding them out from the ranks of politicians, fire departments, military, your local plumbers guild, etc. Then the world will be filled with only nice, gentle, respectable folk.

I've met a few cops, but never really got to know any personally except for one MP years ago. That said, I do know the kind of human dross they have to deal with 24/7 down here in Texas, and it's got to be a shitty job dealing with that crap every. Single. Day. After a while I imagine it changes you, just like being a soldier, a fireman, or a paramedic does.

Yeah, there are bad cops. And no, we shouldn't give up our rights. But it also bears mentioning there are a whole hell of a lot of people riding Harley's that go out of their way to act like Billy Badass with an attitude problem, even when they're actually nice people with nothing to hide. Maybe if fewer of our brothers on two wheels acted like complete douchebags all the time, the word "biker" wouldn't have the connotation it does with the general public.

As a general rule, if you act like an ******* you're going to get treated like an *******. And isn't it interesting, that it always seems to be the same small, vocal group that just "happens" to repeatedly have these encounters with hordes of power-hungry cops who plant evidence, set people up for no good reason, extort innocent citizens, etc. Quite a coincidence, if you believe in that sort of thing.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRebKY
As a former officer I can tell u best thing to so is keep your mouth shut when talking to police. They ask if they can search just say " no I don't consent to any searches or seizures....am I free to go?". Most will just sit there untill they say you can leave but if you ask am I free to go they have to either set you free or have cause to detain you. Police like to ask a lot of questions so just politely say you aren't answering any questions or being subject to interrogation...,am I free to go?.if your not then ask what your being detained for.
Makes sense to me.

Last edited by DM426; 06-13-2014 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?