General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 06:48 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryanp
So, for the third time in less than a week, a group of bikers have been seen on the side of I-70 in Independence, Missouri, with multiple law enforcment officers going through their bikes and such. Anyone heard of anything about that city targeting bikers lately. Seem pretty convienent since I-70 is a major route for alot of bikes to use headed to Sturgis.
Just curious is all.
I live in the area also and you know there are a gazillion bikes around here. I never see the LEO's messen with the bikers. You know they're pretty laid back around here with the bikes too. And NO im not a cop! FUNNY THREAD!

And if you travel that stretch of I-70 by the stadium you know thats a speed trap for all. When it turns 65mph to 55mph. They make thier monthly tickets at that location. I see people pulled over there almost every other time i pass through there. As im sure you do to.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 08-03-2010 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:06 AM
jlandis874
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
yeah because that's the ONLY time cops ever search someones vehicle... where the f*** are from????
I'm from Ohio. If they pull me over and want to search my bike they must have my consent, probable cause, or a warrant. They can't legally do it without one of those. As I said earlier, If they were going through those bikes and didn't have one of those and get away with it, it is the bikers fault. Resonable suspicion doesn't even give them the right to search, at least here in Ohio it doesn't. When I ask the cop if i'm free to go, he must let me go or read me my rights, as at that point i'm being detained, even if i'm still sitting on my bike. We are all protected by the constitution, but most people would rather have their rights violated because they have nothing to hide rather than do whats right and say no. They can't impound my bike or arrest me for not consenting to a search. They can make me wait for an hour so they can bring the police dog out to sniff around to try to get probable cause, but must let me go if they don't have it. A lot of people also don't relize that they can change their mind in the middle of a search and take back the consent they gave the police.

Edited to add: I'm not saying that illegal searches don't happen. I know they do. It's going on right now as I type this, but the cops need to be delt with in court for doing it.

Last edited by jlandis874; 08-03-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Fat Henry
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by chromedome09
One name...
Steve Cook... Independence MO... Hates bikers. One of the top dogs of the national biker gang task force and Metro drug task force.

Here you go.. I live at ground Zero.. One reason I am not wearing a patch now.
http://www.undercover.org/biker2009.htm

He has the mentality that all Harley riders are gun toting, meth dealers.
This answers the OP's question better than any thing I think.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:54 AM
crashin
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Kind of defeats the purpose of undercover if everyone knows who you are doesn't it?

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Probable Cause

Originally Posted by jlandis874
And if the cops did that and got away with it then its the bikers fault for letting them. You can't go through peoples stuff on the side of the road no matter what badge you're wearing without a warrant, probable cause or consent.
Tell them what they can't do? Have you ever met their Friends Taser, Nightstick,Pepper Gas and my favorite Probable Cause /Fat Book

Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pococj
For all y'all who are comfortable with allowing your rights to be set aside, even temporarily, I am not. And I don't recall giving you permission to allow my rights to be set aside. If you're a cop, and violate my rights I will do whatever I can to see you have to take responsibility for your illegal acts, just as I want other criminals to face responsibility for their illegal acts.

Face it, most cops try to do a good job, and most succeed. Some get out of line and need to be called on it. A criminal is a criminal; I don't care if it's the President, someone in the military, a cop, a biker, or Joe Schmuckatelli the plumber. But standing up for your rights does not make you a criminal; doing an end-around someone's rights because you can, does make you a criminal.
well said

Old 08-03-2010, 06:26 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
I've never had a cop pull me over for no reason. But if they do they can go through anything on me or my bike. Personally I think if it'll help keep the illegals or criminals a little bit more under control I'm all for it. You just need to be the victim of an illegal or other criminal and it makes it a little easier to allow a stupid little search that yields nothing to realize the search of the illegal will make us a bit safer.
really???? just the other day coming through middleburg NY from howe caverns i saw a cop far down the road so i waited for him to pass before pulling out because i even said "this pr*ck will pull me over if i get in front of him". so i was behind the cop and in front of the cop was a man and his family in a ford. the man in the ford brakes and puts his signal on to turn left and the cop has to wait for him to turn. while oncoming traffic is coming i say to my wife "this cop is going to pull this guy over for making him wait two minutes to get by him watch", sure enough the dude is getting pulled over with the most puzzled look on his face. glad i waited to pull out. i've been pulled over at least five times for no reason at all.

i would rather die in a suicide bombing by a fanatical muslim or shot by a crackhead with an illegal gun than give in to a police state where cops can simply pull me over and search whenever they want for no reason (which they do today). if a cop wants to search a vehicle he will either fabfricate probable cause, BS search warrant, or threaten someone into allowing him to search it, and like i said if you don't let him search it he'll use your reluctance as probable cause while getting a warrant.

we all die, frankly getting blasted by a suicide bomb would be a pretty badass way to go. beats slowly withering away with alzheimers or something.

you can give up your rights in an attempt to keep the bad guys at bay but not me.

i have gotten two cops fired, one when i was 18 when he illegally searched my car, he was a town cop not even allowed to carry a gun and he got us all out and went through my entire car without any probable cause and with me saying "no way". one of my friends in the car's father was the town judge and respected lawyer so that dude was history. the other cop i got fired was a guy who twice pulled my wife over alone to ask her out late at night coming home from school.

so your idea that cops always behave appropriately to me is a joke. you can give these guys unyielding power if you want but not me, i'll die first.

Last edited by babalu; 08-03-2010 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Myself and the guys I ride with each carry a number of "Rights Cards" with us...

I believe we got these from one of the CoC Attorney's a couple of years ago, and we just had additional cards printed off at a print shop.

If stopped the first thing I do (after the normal license, registration, insurance, ccw permit checs) is to give the officer one of the cards, or if they refuse to accept the card I read it myself.

Most of the time the officer will read the card, look at you, and then 'turn you loose' if all your paperwork checks out.

Here is the wording of the card... It's credit card size, but I've enlarged it for easier reading. Sometimes the officer smiles and gives the card back. Sometimes they tear it in half before giving it back and letting you go.

Oh well, cards are cheap.

Last edited by OldFenderGuy; 08-03-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:43 PM
GeezerDude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
But what if you're not a criminal, not into any kind of criminal activities and are not wanted for any kind of criminal offenses? And are not carrying any kind of illegal substances or whatever? What then?

Let 'em look all they want. They're looking for somebody else. Somebody else that might get a little riled if they want to look through their stuff.

My son made an interesting comment about stuff like this the other day. It's the criminally minded that don't like it. I wonder why?
Wow, there is so much wrong here I don't know where to start.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chromedome09
One name...
Steve Cook... Independence MO... Hates bikers. One of the top dogs of the national biker gang task force and Metro drug task force.

Here you go.. I live at ground Zero.. One reason I am not wearing a patch now.
http://www.undercover.org/biker2009.htm

He has the mentality that all Harley riders are gun toting, meth dealers.
And he would be very correct on half of that thought, I am carrying, a firearm, concealed, legally.
LEO cannot pull you over for no reason, when pulled over generally as soon as or sometime before asking for the license, reg and insurance they will ask "Do you know why i pulled you over?" your answer should be "No" thats it, be polite, but do not talk, idle chat will be twisted and used agianst you, that is just a fact. Do not lie, it is agianst the law, my isnt that funny, they can lie all they wish, and they are trained how and do a damned fine job of it...i learned a lot from an Ex BIL who was an Missouri HiPo (i seen him do things to people while on duty that disgusted me). And if you consent to a search when you have nothing to hide, your a fool, and you feed the illegal activity and make it hard on the rest of us who live in a free country.

Last edited by Jeff W; 08-03-2010 at 06:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Independence, Mo targeting Bikers?