Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very funny short story About a rider and a squ

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
chappy
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Very funny short story About a rider and a squ

The Killer Squirrel of Doom
Author Unknown

I never dreamed slowly cruising through a residential neighborhood could be so incredibly dangerous! Studies have shown that motorcycling requires more decisions per second, and more sheer data processing than nearly any other common activity or sport. The reactions and accurate decision making abilities needed have been likened to the reactions of fighter pilots! The consequences of bad decisions or poor situational awareness are pretty much the same for both groups too. Occasionally, as a rider I have caught myself starting to make bad or late decisions while riding. In flight training, my instructors called this being "behind the power curve". It is a mark of experience that when this begins to happen, the rider recognizes the situation, and more importantly, does something about it. A short break, a meal, or even a gas stop can set things right again as it gives the brain a chance to catch up. Good, accurate, and timely decisions are essential when riding a motorcycle, at least if you want to remain among the living. In short, the brain needs to keep up with the machine. I had been banging around the roads of east Texas and as I headed back into Dallas, found myself in very heavy, high-speed traffic on the freeways. Normally, this is not a problem, I commute in these conditions daily, but suddenly I was nearly run down by a cage that decided it needed my lane more than I did. This is not normally a big deal either, as it happens around here often, but usually I can accurately predict which drivers are not paying attention and avoid them before we are even close. This one I missed seeing until it was nearly too late, and as I took evasive action I nearly broad sided another car that I was not even aware was there! Two bad decisions and insufficient situational awareness all within seconds. I was behind the power curve. Time to get off the freeway. I hit the next exit, and as I was in an area I knew pretty well, headed through a few big residential neighborhoods as a new route home. As I turned onto the nearly empty streets I opened the visor on my full-face helmet to help get some air. I figured some slow riding through the quiet surface streets would give me time to relax, think, and regain that "edge" so frequently required when riding. Little did I suspect as I passed an oncoming car, a brown furry missile shot out from under it and tumbled to a stop immediately in front of me. It was a squirrel, and must have been trying to run across the road when it encountered the car. I really was not going very fast, but there was no time to brake or avoid it-it was that close. I hate to run over animals and I really hate it on a motorcycle, but a squirrel should pose no danger to me. I barely had time to brace for the impact. Animal lovers, never fear. Squirrels can take care of themselves! Inches before impact, the squirrel flipped to his feet. He was standing on his hind legs and facing the oncoming Harley with steadfast resolve in his little beady eyes. His mouth opened, and at the last possible second, he screamed and leapt! I am pretty sure the scream was squirrel for, "Banzai!" or maybe, "Die you gravy-sucking, heathen scum!" as the leap was spectacular and he flew over the windshield and impacted me squarely in the chest. Instantly he set upon me. If I did not know better I would have sworn he brought twenty of his little buddies along for the attack. Snarling, hissing, and tearing at my clothes, he was a frenzy of activity. As I was dressed only in a light t-shirt, summer riding gloves, and jeans this was a bit of a cause for concern. This furry little tornado was doing some damage! Picture a large man on a huge black and chrome cruiser, dressed in jeans, a t-shirt, and leather gloves puttering maybe 25mph down a quiet residential street.and in the fight of his life with a squirrel. And losing. I grabbed for him with my left hand and managed to snag his tail. With all my s

Old 09-01-2006, 11:43 AM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Very funny short story About a rider and a squ

[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 09-01-2006, 11:54 AM
Hiram
Road Captain

Squirrel Stew . ROFLMAO

Old 09-01-2006, 12:07 PM
chappy
Road Warrior

Hi went_postal,

Sorry this made you go postal !! lol
but, I still laugh at it and always glad to pass on a smile or a laugh.

chappy
ORIGINAL: went_postal

[sm=deadhorse.gif]

Old 09-01-2006, 02:21 PM
tedali2004
Tourer

first time read for me.........must pass it on[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 09-01-2006, 05:02 PM
stubby
Road Captain

Chappy, great story.

Old 09-01-2006, 05:18 PM
firemankrug
Outstanding HDF Member

First time for me,[sm=lol.gif] LMAO! Thanks Chappy

Old 09-01-2006, 05:29 PM
bobg1253
Road Captain

First time I have seen that story. That is absolutely hilarious.

Old 09-01-2006, 10:31 PM
Doodad
Outstanding HDF Member

LMAO

Old 09-02-2006, 02:10 PM
bdgreen
Banned

Now that was good readin'. I laughed so hard I read it twice.

Quick Reply: Very funny short story About a rider and a squ