General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sold a bike recently that was financed with HD?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:33 AM
expofrog
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paid both mine and the wife's motorcycles off and yes it took over 14 days to get the title back.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 AM
maryland blackout
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just bought my bike from a guy who still owed harley. he had to put me on his account and i had to make two payments plus a service chrge for each. he paid the remainder. he cut his insurance and returned his tag, i have the bike sitting in my garage waiting for the title to clear. same story, they said 10-14 days after the final payment has been processed. it's a pain in the *** but that's just they way it goes sometimes. it's been 10 days today and no title

Old 08-02-2010, 11:44 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

No one has mentioned this. It takes time for checks to clear the bank. I have even had a 10 day hold put on a Certified Check from my Father's estate. When I questioned the bank they said that the check couterfiters have gotten so good, that they even have to put holds on checks that used to be considered "Golden".

Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This guy is a VP at a mortgage bank so he's familiar with loans and payoffs, etc. He is actually looking to wire the payoff directly to HD and then cut me a check for the rest. Maybe that will help things along vs. sending a check that has to be cleared first.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:21 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Default Problem Solved

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
This guy is a VP at a mortgage bank so he's familiar with loans and payoffs, etc. He is actually looking to wire the payoff directly to HD and then cut me a check for the rest. Maybe that will help things along vs. sending a check that has to be cleared first.
There you go!

If you do this by bank wire and have the cost for overnight delivery added on, you should be able to do this in a very timely manner. If you choose checks and USPS, you'll be waiting,and waiting,and waiting.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey! Let's not forget they are in the midst of a new production year finance program, selling all these new 2011's. That's what the big push is all about. Not us little guy's wanting to unload something on paper.

I tried calling them the other day to go direct payment with them through the bank, and sat on hold for 15 minutes, so I hung up on them and just made an electronic payment from computer.

I was just trying to make it easier all the way around, and what finance outfit doesn't want direct payments in today's market.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:25 AM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
No risk? It's still titled in my name and covered under my insurance. Seems to me, legally, as far as the insurace company is concerned if something happens, I'm still responsible.
Hey Greg, sorry to hear you're selling your bike. I'm sure at some time in the future you'll be back...

As far as your insurance goes, once you finalize the sale, contact your insurance company and cancel your policy. If your agent is nearby, bring them a copy of the bill of sale showing that you no longer have ownership of the bike. If anything happens to the bike after that, you have everything documented and the new owner will be help accountable.

Best of luck.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Hardcorvette
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old thread. I purchased a bike that was financed through HD. It's been over 2 weeks since I purchased it. I do have the title, but I'm still waiting for the seller to receive the lien release from Eaglemark. The seller did allow me to use his tag for a few days, the bike has been sitting in my garage ever since. That lien release can't get here soon enough...riding season is almost over!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:10 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i havnt delt with hd financing but on evry thing i have payed off it took a while, just sold a honda this week, they said 1-3 weeks,my truck took 3 weeks after paid,my van took 2 months and i paid cash for it.i paid off a car loan from bank1, they overnited the title for $12..if you are refinancing a vehicle,your bank will do all the documentation, the seller just signs a power of atturny, and it all changes over..

Old 10-23-2010, 01:14 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

That is about the usual wait. Its not going to be no 3-5 business day wait. All banks are like that. BOA took about 2 weeks once I paid mine off.

Its the nature of it. Theres no way around it. I dont know why its such a big deal.

Quick Reply: Sold a bike recently that was financed with HD?