Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing My Nerve

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:39 PM
SS_Jagger
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Losing My Nerve

I think I've had enough! Too many drivers cutting me off. Drivers crowding me in my lane. Tailgaters. Crap falling off the back of vehicles! Drivers who use the vehicles as weapons and the worst, cops who don't give a crap. It's getting to the point that I feel like sooner or later someone or something is going to take me out! I've been riding 36 years and I don't know if it's just me or is it that people just don't give a crap anymore but is it ever dangerous out there?

I love riding, love the open road. Have never found anything that even compares to riding, but lately, I get home after a 4 hour ride and I'm wiped! I've got to spend so much effort concentrating and watching everyone and everything around me just to make sure I arrive home ALIVE.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

20+ years ago I used ever concentration I had and then watch everyone and everything around me just to make sure I would arrive home alive, it's still no different today, EXCEPT that there's more traffic on the roads.
I know where you are coming from, but all that has changed is the volume of traffic. I was told from day one that just when you get relaxed of feel comfortable that is when something was gonna happen.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Might be best to give it up for awhile. I did the same thing about four or five years ago. Was overly worried everytime I threw a leg over the bike. Sold it and didn't ride for a couple years. Then got the bug again, bought a new one and am confident again. Circumstances change. Change with them. It makes life much more rewarding and enjoyable.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:55 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,317 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Ride faster and keep moving through traffic - be proactive instead of reactive. Don't just wait for stuff to happen and then try to react to it. If you need a bike that's faster and more nimble, buy it. I've been riding for 42 years and very seldom ride in "cruise" mode. I don't know where you live and what the traffic's like there so I can't offer anything more specific than what I have. If your inner voice is telling you to hang up the spurs, if even just for a while, you should listen. JMO

Old 08-01-2010, 11:04 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
Ride faster and keep moving through traffic - be proactive instead of reactive. Don't just wait for stuff to happen and then try to react to it. If you need a bike that's faster and more nimble, buy it. I've been riding for 42 years and very seldom ride in "cruise" mode. I don't know where you live and what the traffic's like there so I can't offer anything more specific than what I have. If your inner voice is telling you to hang up the spurs, if even just for a while, you should listen. JMO
There ya go. Be alert and aggressive.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:06 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that the US has had in increase of 48% more drivers since 1998. That is a lot more vehicles on the road. yup it's more intense out there than it was 15years ago.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:57 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your first post is about quitting-----why bother to post. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of riding anymore then I would talk them into it.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:03 AM
harleyriv
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a couple have already said - ride positively and with purpose and be alert. Make your own space on the road and you'll be surprised how others will accomodate you......

Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's so much more peaceful living in a small town. There are still several idiots on the road any given day but not like it was when I lived in Houston, Detroit, Oklahoma City or LA. I still find it nerve racking when I find myself in a built-up traffic area but for the most part do everything I can to avoid big city traffic.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:42 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

You're partly right. When I came back in Europe after several years overseas (including USA) I found that the trafficers became rude, aggressive and violent. After another year I was used to it again and consider myself every day surviving the jungle someone will call 'traffic'. And indeed, the police accept in may cases 'jungle behaviour' of drivers. Exhausting? Yes, but as soon you change the highway for a local road 90% of the jungle behaviour has dissappeared. Just like rats living with too many in a too small cage, give them more space and they will behave themselves 'normal' again.

Quick Reply: Losing My Nerve