General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing My Nerve

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 05:50 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by warrconn
There ya go. Be alert and aggressive.
I don't believe this is the best strategy. The LAST thing we need if MORE aggressive riders/drivers on the roads. There are enough of them out there already causing us problems. Just what we need...another aggressive knucklehead out there speeding, swerving in and out of traffice, stopping short etc (all examples of aggressive driving/riding).

I agree with others on here that say if you feel you need to take some time off, listen to what your heart and mind are telling you. Maybe you just need a temporary break to get your mind back into the game or maybe it is permanent; but, only you can answer that question.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:39 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

stay out of heavy traffic

take different routes. It's less stressful

Last edited by carpetride; 08-02-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM
tomt
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I visited my local HD dealer over the weekend. There were two bikes in the shop waiting for the insurance adjuster. One, the rider got badly injured by a car turning in front of him. The other one, the rider saw the car coming while stopped at an intersection and jumped off his bike just in time. His bike was run over.

Every time I visit, there are at least two, three wrecked bikes.

I was driving my SUV, Ford explorer. I was coming up to an entrance to a forest preserve a car stops at the stop sign. The driver looks right at me and pulls right out in front of me. I'm going about 45 MPH. I missed hitting him by 2".

These idiots do it to cars too. Not only bikers.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

I agree with those that recommend staying out of stressful and more dangerous situations. Stay off the freeways during rush hour, stay out the big cities, things like that can make a difference.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:53 AM
bikermama
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a small town, only about 2200 people and I swear some days I think their all out to get me,but its not going to stop me from riding!! take a little time off and relax, then decide what you want to do!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:00 AM
32vld
Road Master

Driving is a lost art. All the things my dad taught me no one does any more.

MSF teaches you to cut the apex of the curve but must stay in your lane, without going over the lines.

On LI, NY, everyday on the two lane roads you see ******* after ******* that can't keep the cage from coming over the double yellow lines when they are on a curve.

Either their cage can't handle the speed they are choosing to go, they don't have the skills to handle their cage at that speed, or both.

It's one thing to share a lane with a bike going with you.

And, another thing to lane share with a cage that is coming at you.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:03 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by oldairboater
Your first post is about quitting-----why bother to post. I wouldn't try to talk anyone out of riding anymore then I would talk them into it.
+1 why come on here with your first post telling us you're afraid to ride. just quit!

unless this is a troll..... just saying.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Great Gazoo
Tourer

Maybe you could try riding when traffic is at its least. A friend of mine was going through the very same thing a while back - told him to keep his scoot but try riding later in the day when the traffic had subsided and stick to roads less travelled. Its not ideal but at least you don't have to give it up entirely. He eventually got his nerve back. It happens, don't sweat it. Seems every second day I'm reading about bike accidents and its does affect you...

Old 08-02-2010, 09:37 AM
black dogz
Cruiser

We live in the Chicago area. Traffic is heavy and horrendous, and there are way too many azzhole cagers around here. And as if that isn't bad enough, road construction season coincides with riding season. Our strategy: ride at off-peak times if possible, allow extra time and take alternate routes, head out of town whenever we can.

It takes effort, but we love to ride so we work at keeping it enjoyable. Maybe a little extra planning is all it will take for you, too. Good luck!

Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM
SS_Jagger
Stage IV

Thanks all. I knew I wasn't the only one feeling this way or having this experience. Thanks for you suggestions and input. Late last night I started working on the sale ad's for my bike's but after reading some of the positive post's here I've decide to park them for the time being. Thanks again

Quick Reply: Losing My Nerve