General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

danger

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 10:43 PM
Mysanity2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was meeting a truck on the highway and he had several 2x8s in the back. As he rounded the corner I watched them slide over the tailgate and proceeded to dump off the side of the truck bed and into my lane. I was lucky that they had all hit the road before I passed him. Ran over them without a problem since I was in my van.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Believe me or not. Here in Europe a lot of trucks mounted a rof spoiler on top of their cabins to minimize the drag (and fuel consumption) A few years ago (luckely I rode my car and not my bike) the highway lighting changed from well lighted to completey darkness after a milestone. I made 70 mph, needed some time for my eyes to be adapted to the darkness.
Just when my eyes were slighty adapted a huge craddle appeared in my headlights on my lane, I braked fully, tried to steer aroudn it and hit it with my right front. It shattered and broke into ten, twelve pieces. I stopped and warned the other traffic behind me, switched on my hazardlights and cellphoned to the highway police. They arrived in minutes and closed down the highway. It was a huge roof spoiler of a truck which was lost from the cabin roof. The truck itself came back, the insurance of the owner covered everything. I still shake when I still remember that I intended to go on my bike first but changed plans and took my car...This f...ng thing could kill me easily..

Old 08-02-2010, 04:01 AM
hogrider98
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default here's one

Hampden man crashes motorcycle into farm animals on Scantic Road

Published: Sunday, August 01, 2010, 10:43 PM Updated: Monday, August 02, 2010, 1:51 AM

Elizabeth Roman, The Republican

Share this story

HAMPDEN – A motorcycle driver was injured Sunday after crashing into a horse and a donkey at the intersection of Scantic and Cross roads, police said.

John Plaster, 64, of Hampden was driving on Scantic Road around 5:30 p.m. when he crashed into the animals and lost control of the bike, police said. It was unclear why the animals were on the road.

Plaster was taken to Baystate Medical Center with non-life threatening injuries. The horse and the donkey were not hurt in the incident, police said.

Old 08-02-2010, 08:30 AM
joweld
Stage I

Here in Alberta about two weeks ago, a forklift fork fell of the back of truck, and hit a motrocylist and severed his leg right off.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM
mnskip
Tourer

Loud pipes on bikes are nice. Loud pipes on cages mean danger. Watch/listen for fallen exaust from under cages. A guy I work with had a muffler about to fall off his car. I brought it to his attention on how it could cause injury and/or death to a biker, he had no clue and fixed it the next day. Cagers don't think of these things.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Tazzrider
Road Captain

Bud and I are rollin north from the Keys. Somewhere between Miami and Miami Beach, 5-6 lanes of bumper to bumper maniacs doing 65mph+ was bad enough. Cell phones at each of their ears... we spot a pickup about a 100 yards ahead of us hauling new plastic barrels. Then, suddenly, 1 barrel gets airborn... "OH CHIT!" friggin interstate turned into one big pinball machine... drivers appeared to be willing ot take out the guy next to them car or truck OR BIKER, before hitting the damn barrel. We make it over to a far lane and get past the bouncing barrel...suddenly, a 2nd pops out of the truck! Fortunately, by the time the 2nd one took off, we were far enough foward to not be the bonus ***** again in that game. Never got hit but damn close from so many different directions.

Oh, and one more... If you're ever rolling in logging country and see a truck coming toward you or even if passing one, get over as far as possible and get behind your shield. The bark chunks that can fly off those suckers at 55mph + can feel like rocks if ya hit one.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of logging trucks, my Wife and I (seperate bikes) were headed east on I-10 headed for Panama City's Thunder Beach in '08. There was a detour to an off ramp over to the on ramp. There was a logging truck turned over on the overpass and logs were dumped onto I-10 (no chaines or tie downs) , it had just happened, if we were 2 mins sooner who knows what would've happened. I always look up onto the overpasses just to see what's up there as we go under. Gives me chills.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Had a cousin killed by object flying out the back of a pickup truck...

Old 08-02-2010, 08:14 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK gotta repeat a story a old riding buddy told me... He was riding with a good sized group and they got stuck behind a livestock hauler.... Pigs.... Lots of 'em..... and THEN.... the pigs started pissing...... Yeah... ya guessed it... Highway speeds with pig **** flyin in the wind..... NASTY!!!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:26 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stick of fire wood from a pickup truck one time,no harm done.

Quick Reply: danger