General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

danger

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was coming back from the SmokeOut once and got behind a truck that was moving furniture. I noticed they had a huge recliner on the top of the stack and I immediately rolled out of the throttle not 1 minute later that sucker comes flying off the top and landed where I would have been if I hadn't backed off when I did.Some folks just don't think sometimes...lol

Old 08-01-2010, 05:33 PM
sullyboo
Cruiser

Got hit by a Buz lightyear toy [action figure] when a three year old thew it out the window of the car in front and to the left of me. I was going about 45. It was a good thing I had a full face helmet on.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:39 PM
motocriz
Cruiser

Yeah...I was behind a truck that was moving furniture. I was leary about the way the guy had stacked the stuff. Decided to keep my distance. I did have a nice view of the recliner that flew off the back and bounced around the road...ending up in a few pieces...just slowed down...waited for all the parts to stop moving...then rode on through...

Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mysanity2
A couple months ago the wife and I were riding on a 2 lane highway not far from our house. There was 1 car in front of us and a truck in front of them with a mattress in the back. Running at about 55mph we saw the mattress launch out of the truck and flew about 20ft in the air. We thought there was a bag of clothes flying out with it but it was a person. Apparently the mattress had flew out a couple miles back and the guy decided he would ride on top of it to keep it from flying out. Terrible idea....he was okay and had a pretty nasty cut to his head and lots of road rash. He's very lucky that the car or us on the bike didn't hit him. It would have been much worse (for both of us). Always secure anything in a vehicle not matter if you "don't have that far to go".
Reminds me of an incident about forty years ago. Teenager was riding on a matress to hold it down. Truck was doing about 40mph on a four lane hiway. Matress flew out and the kid did a superman. Dead on arrival. A little common sense would've kept him alive.

About six months ago cars were slowing down a changing lanes on a three lane freeway near home. One car decidided that she'd just speed up because the lane was opening up. Until she t-boned a recliner in the middle lane. Took out her fender all the way to the tire. Dumb.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:01 PM
ttboy
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate dodging the cig butts they flick out the window. One burned son in law last week.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:11 PM
shiftharder
Road Master

After reading these stories I guess I hav`nt done enough miles yet - your scaring me!!!!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Fnortner
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was going over the I-405 bridge in Portland following, but not too close luckily, a pickup. It had a large square of plywood that must have been lying flat in the bed. All of a sudden some air musta gotten under it and it goes airborn a little over head height. I swerved into traffic in another lane, nobody was there, again luckily, and miss the wood. The plywood could have gotten me if I had had my attention on anything else for a split second, or a could have swerved right into some vehicle going the same direction as me. Sometimes it's not safe out there.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:19 PM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kabluie
As a highway worker I've seen things hit by semi trucks get launched with deadly force. We use to have cones to guide the traffic past us and ocasionally a car or truck would hit one or two. Getting hit with one of those will defiantely knock the daylights out of you. Also the barrels that show a lane closure will kill you if you get into the path of the richochet.

Now I always check out the load of any vehicle that has a load. If it's sitting near the edge of the bed I'll ride past the vehicle the first chance I get. If you hit something that has fallen off a truck your day is likely to be done regardless of what you're driving or riding.
i used to install signs and signage years back and we had to use those cones to block off our work area when doing roadside stuff, and i can attest to them cones hurting, had a little soccar mom minivan thing clip one and sent it flying into my leg just below the knee 4 years later and i still got a big azz scar from it, sent me back a good foot and a half and put me on the ground i had to go to the hospital and get it stiched up took a chunk of bone out with it too

Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

Hey deadman77 you also have to watch out for spare trailor tires. Pulled up by one in Oklahoma City, and the only reason I did that is because it was still traveling at my speed and going straightl. So I hammered down got by it and watched it cross into the lane I was in and across the other trafic. It looked new...............

Old 08-01-2010, 10:37 PM
DEGRider
Outstanding HDF Member

A couple years back I was with a buddy outside Atlanta, in rush hour traffic. A recliner was on the interstate partially in our lane . Thank God he was driveing we squeezed over toward the semi next lane over. I couldhave written my name on the trailer. The thought of hitting something that large going that fast in rush hour traffic wow! Tripple that on a bike.

Quick Reply: danger