General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy vs V-rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010 | 08:25 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member

A Softail is a pig, handling-wise. Comfortable, roomy, great-looking, smooth. But not quick or nimble.

A V-Rod is quick, though not exactly nimble either. Don't care for the clamshell riding position on them either.

A Dyna will be quick (~100-150 lbs. lighter than a Softail, and with no power diverted to counterbalancers). And it will be nimble. The best handling Big Twin is actually a Touring bike, believe it or not, but they are super heavy and will make a Softail look like a Gixxer.

Comfort on a Dyna is good, too. You won't get the vibrations you do on your Sporty. But the Softail will win in a long-haul comfort.

Your choice. But for a 40-mile commute where 60-85 acceleration is important, go Dyna.

The following users liked this post:
kravitz (08-22-2018)
Old 08-01-2010 | 08:31 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

So get the Fatboy, slap some high volume intake, 2-1 exhaust and a fuel management module on it, and she'll be cherry! I have NO problem keeping up with the Dynas, the 1200 sportys or blowing by slow traffic.

Old 08-01-2010 | 09:42 AM
Country Bumpkin
Cruiser

Well....... everyone has their own opinion. I guess I will go against the grain of many here that say the VROD is an uncomfortable ride. I had an 08 Night Rod Special for almost 2 years. just sold it a few weeks ago. My commute to work was only 26 miles one way but the bike was very comfortable to me after I changed the bars out to some that were two inches higher and two inches closer to me.

I have owned a 04 Low Rider, 03 Wide Glide, 06 Night Train, 06 Softail Deluxe, and an 07 Ultra Classic.(Wide Glide and Deluxe belonged to the wife) The VROD was a more comfortable ride than all the others except the Ultra. I could hop on it and ride longer without getting sore or tired than any of the other bikes. A good riding buddy of mine has an 08 Fat Boy that I have ridden alot when we swap bikes while riding. The ride is comfortable on the FB but it does not handle near as nice as the VROD nor have anywhere near the power of course.

I would still have the VROD if I hadn't found a Shovelhead I just had to have. For some reason the wife didn't think I really need three bikes so something had to go. My Night Train is my baby so the choice was clear.

One thing in your favor if you decide to go the VROD route is you can pick one up fairly cheap especially if you buy used. It will never have a Harley look or sound. If that is important to you go with the FB.

Old 08-01-2010 | 09:49 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Fatboy + big bore = mmmmmgoood!

Faster than a dyna and better ride to boot.

Shakey

Old 08-01-2010 | 12:05 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

I traded my XL1200 for the Heritage, which is a comfy cruiser, but I had the same issue with performance. So I found a great deal on the used Wide Glide. I am with the others when saying don't rule out the Dyna line. My Wide Glide is still not as quick as my Hot Rod Sportster was, but it sure isn't far behind by any means. It will definately run circles around my Heritage.

Old 08-01-2010 | 02:35 PM
srshaw
Tourer

The V Rod positon looks pretty much like I have with a Fat Bob. Forwards and Drag Bars. I have no complaints with comfort. Infact its damned comfortable coming from Japanese sports bikes.

Old 08-01-2010 | 03:06 PM
varcoman12
Intermediate

fatboy all the way.

Old 08-01-2010 | 05:31 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member

if you're going to look at dyna's just keep the sportster and put on a fatbob tank... voila dyna. seriously though i found very little difference between my lowered 1200 sportster and the dyna's i rode.

Old 08-01-2010 | 05:38 PM
diggerv
Tourer

If you get the "A" model with a Sundowner seat it is very comfortable. I've been on a lot of long rides. The speed is way more than the Fatboy or the Sporty and it handles better than any motorcycle I've been on. As far sound... there are a lot of great exhaust systems that make them sound great, not like a normal Harley but great. With that said... the Fat Boy will most likely be more comfortable... but I would still get the Rod.

Old 08-01-2010 | 06:08 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

As above...Fatboy+good after market exhaust+stage 1 intake+good tuner= golden.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy vs V-rod