General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get the hell out of the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 03:10 PM
VaRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,089 Likes on 1,546 Posts
Default Get the hell out of the way

I ride a big cruiser so I know what it's like to ride on some beautiful country 2 lane roads. I was riding today when this happened. But this is why I won't do group rides. I got stuck behind a group of 4 cruisers today in Shenandoah, Va on 340 heading north. When I caught up to this group there were already about 15 cars backed up behind them. There were some passing areas but too many cars coming for anyone to pass. These 4 morons stayed below the speed limit the entire time. Not once ever hitting the posted 55. I think the fastest they ever did was 52 but usually stayed around 50. They had numerous chances to pull over and allow us to pass but never did. One was a Gold Wing and two were Harley's. Not sure about the 4th. When we finally hit Rt 211 they went east as I was. This road is 4 lanes. Once I could I opened it up blowing by them shaking my head at their attitudes. A little bit of goodwill can go a long way on a bike.

Old 07-31-2010, 03:42 PM
ktm990
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This type of selfishness probably pisses more people off than anything else. Maybe even more than loud pipes. It also indicates that the riders probably can't ride well.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:05 PM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether caged or uncaged when not doing the speed limit you should pull over to let the backed up traffic pass when safe.

Driving/riding is a lost art.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:06 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 221 Posts

Horrible! But I see this more and more. Last year on the BRP I came up on some cars following a rider with a flashing strobe light on the backrest. And there were a number of riders in front of him. The parade was maybe going 40. At each opportunity I started passing a few at a time. But there were always more, must have been at least 50 bikes! A hog ride or run of some sort. But geesh when you're even holding up cars *please* be considerate and pull over to let'm pass!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Mal74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

3 -5 mph under the limit doesn't bother me, but the bluehairs doin 35 in a 55 do!

What time was that train leavin anyway??

Old 07-31-2010, 04:32 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Either most likely unaware of what they were doing or don't care. Me first attitude and everybody else just doesn't exist in their world.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:38 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

The posted speed limit is the top speed you are allowed to drive at, not the required speed. Whats wrong with being a law bidding citizen once in a while?.,,

Old 07-31-2010, 04:44 PM
VaRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,089 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
The posted speed limit is the top speed you are allowed to drive at, not the required speed. Whats wrong with being a law bidding citizen once in a while?.,,

I don't have a problem if they want to drive under the speed limit. But when you're on a road where you are impeding others progress then you need to allow them to pass once in a while. It's just plain common sense. 20 plus miles behind someone impeding your way gets old real fast. I am not a fast rider and I was getting annoyed.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:45 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kinda the same thing happened to me today as well. mixed group(nothing wrong, i do it too), but they were obviously beginners. i was just shakin my head thinking "you gotta be fuqn kidding me".

Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
There you go. I agree with that one. I've seen riders that absolutely can't stand it if someone is in front of them. I had one pass me while I was sitting at a stop sign of all places.

Quick Reply: Get the hell out of the way