General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get the hell out of the way

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 12:05 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx-fly-by
split the lane and problem solved...although i think va is the only state in the union that you cant share lanes or split... shoulder works well too in extreme situations..
actually, ca is the only state that you can......

if all they were doing was 2-5 mph under the speed limit, then maybe you should have just slowed down, and enjoyed the ride like they were. thats the problem today, everybody is in such a hurry, hell, most drivers don't even have the time to come to a complete stop at a stop sign anymore.

guess i'm just getting old, but i don't let stuff like that bother me anymore. but i'm not so good at it that the old bluehair doing 20 under doesn't still **** me off, but i'm working on it

Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 AM
VaRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,089 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Seems there are two camps here with the opinions. As the OP I don't disagree with what some of you say. And yes, George Carlin said it best with his slower vs faster comment. I am one of those take it easy type riders and as a lone rider I enjoy taking it easy and seeing the sights. I was on the last leg of a 2 day ride through the mountains and was feeling good. When I left the town of Shenandoah I quickly caught up to the convoy of cars following the riders. Within no time there were many more cars behind me as well as the 15 in front of me. I absolutely respect ones right to drive easy but common sense and courtesy comes into play at some point. When you're on a country road and you are constantly riding your brakes then it's like being on I 95 and it no longer becomes fun. These guys could have earned a little respect for all of us from the cagers by just pulling over and letting the back up go by. If you don't agree with me that's your right. But I have the same right as well to throw out here what I thought were some inconsiderate riders.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:17 AM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya that's bad but what's worse is having some @$$ blasting by going near 100 splitting your lane while you are running 2 to 4 miles over the speed limit. When stuck behind slow gos it's time for a break.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 158 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by VaRider
Seems there are two camps here with the opinions. As the OP I don't disagree with what some of you say. And yes, George Carlin said it best with his slower vs faster comment. I am one of those take it easy type riders and as a lone rider I enjoy taking it easy and seeing the sights. I was on the last leg of a 2 day ride through the mountains and was feeling good. When I left the town of Shenandoah I quickly caught up to the convoy of cars following the riders. Within no time there were many more cars behind me as well as the 15 in front of me. I absolutely respect ones right to drive easy but common sense and courtesy comes into play at some point. When you're on a country road and you are constantly riding your brakes then it's like being on I 95 and it no longer becomes fun. These guys could have earned a little respect for all of us from the cagers by just pulling over and letting the back up go by. If you don't agree with me that's your right. But I have the same right as well to throw out here what I thought were some inconsiderate riders.
I hear ya, VA Rider. I would have felt the same way. What should have been an enjoyable ride for all (bikes and cages) was impacted by a few meandering slowpokes causing a traffic jam. Probably never looked in their rearview once...

Old 08-01-2010, 08:37 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this incident on a Sunday? Maybe it was an after church ride.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I ride the back roads (which is most times) I rarely go over the speed limit. Its all about the ride and not how fast you get there. Been in the same situation a few times and I just wait my turn to go around or pull off for a while. If im the one holding someone up I'll let them by when the opertunity is available. Aint no big deal to me. When I wanna get some place I just go with the flow of traffic no matter what and I always leave earlier than I wanna be there anyways. Oh and BTW.. TAILGATERS SUCK!

Read my sig.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:03 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

If theres so much traffic that no one can pass, I'd have to be resigned to the fact that I have to slow down. Now when the 2 lane turns into a 4 lane and they speed up.....

Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Clocker
Cruiser

Nobody had a horn? A couple friendly beeps or light flashes usually work and then if it doesn't sit on your horn for a minute or two. They will move and you will both be riding on your own piece of highway away from each other.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Now, whats a friendly Honk?

It's like the joke:

I pulled in behind a car with a "HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS" bumper sticker.

I Honked,

The guy flipped me off!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:31 AM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are the people complaining that cars always run up my a@@! Lead ,follow or get out of the way.

Quick Reply: Get the hell out of the way