General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get the hell out of the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 06:21 PM
VaRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,089 Likes on 1,546 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
Lane splitting is illegal in most states, in VA it is not a traffic issue, it is a misdemeanor, punishable by jail time. VA is the only state that actually makes it a criminal act.

In many states impeding more than 5 vehicles will get you a ticket, if you want to take your time, that is fine, but don't assume everyone else wishes to do the same.
You're sorta correct. In Va it's considered reckless driving for 2 vehicles to ride abreast in one lane. Obviously this applies to motorcycles primarily. It's punishable as a class 1 misd but is not reported as a criminal offense. It only goes on your driving record.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by VaRider
You're sorta correct. In Va it's considered reckless driving for 2 vehicles to ride abreast in one lane. Obviously this applies to motorcycles primarily. It's punishable as a class 1 misd but is not reported as a criminal offense. It only goes on your driving record.
Hmmm...Looks like that law was amended "Approved March 11, 2010" to be reckless driving, but that usually earns a mandatory court appearance.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...1+ful+CHAP0110

Still not something I would care to deal with.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
thebarzeen
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got stuck behind someone like this in Yellowstone...... I don't go that fast but I still like to lean it over in the corners. One guy on a Harley and one guy on a goldwing were hammering it on every straightaway and braking like crazy to put-put through the corners without 5* of lean angle........ Even worse has to be the rental RV's......

On a positive note I can't believe how cool some of the big rig drivers were about moving over for us to go by on our trip.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:43 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thebarzeen
On a positive note I can't believe how cool some of the big rig drivers were about moving over for us to go by on our trip.
By and large, semi drivers tend to be the best drivers I encounter. It's very, very rare for me to come across a bad semi driver.

Of course, the profession of semi driver is rather self-selecting. There's a certain amount of pre-existing skill necessary for a person to think that backing up a 48-foot trailer into a loading bay while other people watch is the right career for them.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In California, that could get them a ticket for impeding traffic.
I would have found a nice spot to pull over and let them get some distance ahead so I also could enjoy the ride.

Old 07-31-2010, 06:58 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm - last night after riding about 500 miles a group of about 8 or 9 bikes pulls out just ahead of me and proceeds to do more or less the same thing. They're riding tight enough that passing isn't really an option because it means passing all at once or not at all. One of them was on a sports bike playing slalom with the road markers. I'm forced to follow this motly crew down the road for about 5 miles or so. Finally we get to a stop light. There's a car in front. I know the light, the car's clearly going straight and they're going to turn right which is where I'm headed. Having had enough I pulled around the lot of them and turned right on red at the light. Apparently this was insulting enough to a handful of them that they then proceeded to chase me down the road. Damn - I just wanted to go home!

Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Oh. I get it now. When your in a self absorbed HURRY, the rest of the world should either break speed laws or pull over to let you pass like your a emergency vehicle. Cause we all know when YOU are out riding, Your more important then everyone else, and need to get to the bar or wherever it is your going above the speed limits. Some people like to enjoy the ride and not act like it's a contest or a nascar race. Never be afraid to slow down.,,

Old 07-31-2010, 07:50 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Oh. I get it now. When your in a self absorbed HURRY, the rest of the world should either break speed laws or pull over to let you pass like your a emergency vehicle. Cause we all know when YOU are out riding, Your more important then everyone else, and need to get to the bar or wherever it is your going above the speed limits. Some people like to enjoy the ride and not act like it's a contest or a nascar race. Never be afraid to slow down.,,
It's not about being in a hurry, it's about courtesy guess you don't get that. Most states do and that's why they have laws about impeding traffic.
So get off your holier than thou attitude,

Old 07-31-2010, 07:54 PM
rodnock
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by babalu
i don't understand buying and riding a motorcyle if you want to putter around doing 45 mph. if i'm doing under the speed limit for whatever reason i'm letting people pass. there's an unwritten rule that even traffic cops understand and that is that the flow of traffic is at least 5 MPH over the speed limit. so in a 55 you should be doing 60. if you aren't that's fine, but let those that want to go 60 by.
I call bullshit on both the 5 mph over part and the letting go by part. 5 over will get you a ticket in most places. Speed limit means don;t go over that speed.

If you want to go faster, wait for a safe place and Pass.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Chief_M
Advanced

Having owned a couple of Goldwings I will give you odds that the speedo indicated between 55 and 57 mph. Every Wing I ever had when checked against GPS indicated about 10% higher on the speedo than GPS

Quick Reply: Get the hell out of the way