General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Get the hell out of the way

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 04:52 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

shame on 'em for being in front of you... and on your road too!

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!

Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 PM
coop creek
Road Captain
Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

Its true, Im not fast at all, but sometimes while I'm on a nice back road, I get stuck behind a motorcyclist putt-putting along, it's frustrating not being able to even lean into the turns because you're going hopelessly slow. And at some weird speed between 3rd and 4th gear. I don't get it. If I'm in front and a bike or car is behind me and wants to get past (you can tell), I'm pretty uncomfortable, I pull to the side and let them go ahead. Today I got stuck behind a bike with a side car. To risky to pass him. I pulled over to a shady spot and gave him a few minutes to get really far ahead before pulling out again.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM
fxdx-fly-by
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

split the lane and problem solved...although i think va is the only state in the union that you cant share lanes or split... shoulder works well too in extreme situations..

Old 07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll tell ya what chaps my *** and that is those old idiots pulling a 40' travel trailer behind a 3/4 ton truck driving 55 in a 70 and you can't get around them to save your life and the brain dead asses will not get over.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:02 PM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So if you stayed behind them for an hour you would have only lost 5 miles and about 5 minutes of your time. Patience is a virtue! Damn bikers.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:20 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by aviator
shame on 'em for being in front of you... and on your road too!

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
Actually, It was MY road!******

Old 07-31-2010, 05:28 PM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't understand buying and riding a motorcyle if you want to putter around doing 45 mph. if i'm doing under the speed limit for whatever reason i'm letting people pass. there's an unwritten rule that even traffic cops understand and that is that the flow of traffic is at least 5 MPH over the speed limit. so in a 55 you should be doing 60. if you aren't that's fine, but let those that want to go 60 by.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:30 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fxdx-fly-by
split the lane and problem solved...although i think va is the only state in the union that you cant share lanes or split... shoulder works well too in extreme situations..
Lane splitting is illegal in most states, in VA it is not a traffic issue, it is a misdemeanor, punishable by jail time. VA is the only state that actually makes it a criminal act.

In many states impeding more than 5 vehicles will get you a ticket, if you want to take your time, that is fine, but don't assume everyone else wishes to do the same.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:51 PM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
The posted speed limit is the top speed you are allowed to drive at, not the required speed. Whats wrong with being a law bidding citizen once in a while?.,,
There's that...and then there's reality. Reality is where you go 50 in a 55 zone like somebody's grandma until a line of cars trying to go the normal speed backs up behind you and you get run over at the next stop. I figure if you don't feel like you can ride your motorcycle AT LEAST as fast as car traffic, it's time to park it.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:59 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brenn
There's that...and then there's reality. Reality is where you go 50 in a 55 zone like somebody's grandma until a line of cars trying to go the normal speed backs up behind you and you get run over at the next stop. I figure if you don't feel like you can ride your motorcycle AT LEAST as fast as car traffic, it's time to park it.
Maybe not park it, but at the very least pull over and let the line of cars go by.

Quick Reply: Get the hell out of the way