General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-in scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:04 PM
sundogbrew
|
Advanced
Unhappy F-in scratch

The wife won't ride without the sissy bar on the back and the stock seat on my fatboy. I prefer to ride with the sundowner and no sissy bar. Just got back from a ride and was taking off the sissy bar and like a D bag I dropped it. two nice almost identical scratches on both sides of the rear fender. About 2 inches long, thin but certainly noticeable! The bike is black on top and yellow on the sides, the scratches are on the black. A friend of mine was telling me about some product he had heard about. You touch up the paint with the factory touch up paint and let it dry. As we all know anyone but a professional gets a high spot that is almost more noticeable than the scratch when you use these. He says you put this stuff on that high spot and rub it and it is suppose to blend the paint. Anyone heard of this? Any other suggestions? How much do you think it would cost to have it fixed by a professional? I am having a lot of trouble getting over it.

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:09 PM
inaroush
Road Captain

Don't know about PA, but here on LI that'd run you $100 - $150 for the right job

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:39 PM
schumacher
Club Member

is it scratched pass the clearcoat, as in deep?

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:49 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member

now your bike has some soul.

Old 07-30-2010 | 03:54 PM
JRK5892
Banned

run your finger nail across it, if you nail does not get hung up take 2000grit paper, 2 drops of dish soap in a dish of water, lightly sand the scratch, then use some buffing compound (i like turtle wax's buffing compound) hit it wiht that till the small scratches are gone, then wax... good as new!

Old 07-30-2010 | 06:01 PM
Sgt. Fury
Tourer

This is the stuff that's supposed to blend a touch up pen back in

http://www.langka.com/complete-paint...-kit-p-30.html

never used it before, can't say if it works or not.

Old 07-30-2010 | 06:13 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sundogbrew
The wife won't ride without the sissy bar on the back and the stock seat on my fatboy. I prefer to ride with the sundowner and no sissy bar. Just got back from a ride and was taking off the sissy bar and like a D bag I dropped it. two nice almost identical scratches on both sides of the rear fender. About 2 inches long, thin but certainly noticeable! The bike is black on top and yellow on the sides, the scratches are on the black. A friend of mine was telling me about some product he had heard about. You touch up the paint with the factory touch up paint and let it dry. As we all know anyone but a professional gets a high spot that is almost more noticeable than the scratch when you use these. He says you put this stuff on that high spot and rub it and it is suppose to blend the paint. Anyone heard of this? Any other suggestions? How much do you think it would cost to have it fixed by a professional? I am having a lot of trouble getting over it.
don't worry about it. Stuff happens and life goes on.

Old 07-30-2010 | 06:18 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

i have a scratch on my tank and have just grown to accept it i do not want it use some pencil grab, and don`t want to repaint it so i just live with it

Old 07-30-2010 | 06:29 PM
Jeff W
Outstanding HDF Member

A bike ridden will have imperfections in them, I do feel your pain, it really sucks, but I would just wax the crap out of it and then live with the scratch, sure nuff, soons as you get it fixed your gonna do it agian.

Old 07-30-2010 | 07:04 PM
Surfit
Road Captain

Just get rid of the girl friend problem solved. My ex-girlfriend thought she would help me out by backing my bike into the garage for me! Huge dent in the side of the tank!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: F-in scratch