General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F-in scratch

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010 | 05:47 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Your normal we all would feel a little tension.A fact of life when it comes to being out in nature,these machines cannot possibly stay prestine forever.Owning them awhile they begin to develope a patina,and reasons for conversations.Think of the fun you will have telling all about how the scratches got where they are.

Old 07-31-2010 | 06:18 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

Think of it as a "get out of jail free" card next time you do something to grouch off the little woman!

Old 07-31-2010 | 06:22 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

[quote=eisterd;7076821]don't feel too bad..I've done the same thing. Now my wife feels bad,so I get to ride solo more often. My scratch wasn't to bad though[/quote

I know this is off topic, but DAYAM that's the nicest Fatboy I've ever seen!

Old 07-31-2010 | 06:34 AM
JerryL....
Banned

Originally Posted by SgtMic
Sharpie.
+1. I got a scratch on another bike I had, ran a Sharpie through the scratch, and then clear coated over it. You couldn't see it unless you knew exactly where to look.

Old 07-31-2010 | 07:38 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Lots of good suggestions here. I just had mine painted, and gas leaked out of the left side of the tank and peeled the new paint off. I am just so sick right now.

Old 07-31-2010 | 07:45 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Lots of good suggestions here. I just had mine painted, and gas leaked out of the left side of the tank and peeled the new paint off. I am just so sick right now.
Now that's something to lose sleep over - sucks! IRT OP's scratches - also a bummer, but fixable. Lots of good advice so cool down, get some supplies & work them out. What's the worse that could happen...? Might end us w/a new paint job & free-jail card...;-)

Old 07-31-2010 | 07:46 AM
xwhyz1959
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

S**t happens. You either have them on your bike, or your going to get them. Scratched that is. Now, what are you going to do when everytime she gets off your bike, she's left shoe marks on your pipes heat shield??? There's more than one price we pay for having the lovely ladies sitting behind us. But, would you really have it any other way??

Old 07-31-2010 | 08:40 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Well I understand where you are coming from. Some guys don't care, but I don't like to look at scratches, especially when you can fix them. The best solution is to pick a good automotive grade wet sand paper (maybe 1500-2000 grit) buff it down a bit on some metal before you start, keep it wet (the dish soap trick might work good, but never tried it) and gently work out the scratch. Remember, you are removing paint so go slow. Stop when the scratch is gone. Then use some polishing compound, I like Meguiars, then use your buffer carefully.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2010 | 08:47 AM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member

Well I understand where you are coming from. Some guys don't care, but I don't like to look at scratches, especially when you can fix them.

The best solution is to pick a good automotive grade wet sand paper (maybe 1500-2000 grit) buff it down a bit on some metal before you start, keep it wet (the dish soap trick might work good, but never tried it) and gently work out the scratch. Remember, you are removing paint so go slow. Stop when the scratch is gone. It will look cloudy at this point but don't panic...it is normal. Then apply some polishing compound, I like Meguiars, then use your buffer carefully. When the shine returns, trust me it will, clean the area and apply wax.

Good luck!

Old 07-31-2010 | 09:44 AM
edeluxe07
Tourer

can't count the number of scratches and dings I have on mine..... buff it out as well as can be...and live with it and move on....it's not that important.

Quick Reply: F-in scratch