General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Light Adjusting Lenses - Are they all created equal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM
SFTL 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
I have a pair of Rayban Daddy-O's with prescription Transition lenses. They are really only useful for riding as they will not darken in the car, in the shade even when facing a sunny area, or when wearing a hat. I'm a little disappionted with that part of the performance but I will say when facing into the sun they go almost completely black-almost like being in an eclipse. I do like being able to wear them into a restaruant or bar and not haveing to change glasses though.
I'm not seeing where your Rayban's have any sort of impact resistant or shatterproof properties? I personally will not ride with glasses that do not carry an impact resistant/proof certification and I also need a foam seal to keep air & dirt from blowing into my eyes.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SFTL 1
I'm not seeing where your Rayban's have any sort of impact resistant or shatterproof properties? I personally will not ride with glasses that do not carry an impact resistant/proof certification and I also need a foam seal to keep air & dirt from blowing into my eyes.
They are poly lenses. Very strong. I would like them to have the foam seal too but I tried a couple of types with my prescription and they just wouldn't work-too much distortion. I know there are some specialty places that say they can do wraparounds with heavy RX but they are way out of my price range.
The RayBans fit pretty tight to my face and so far wind and dirt have not been a problem. Course I haven't been caught in a sandstorm yet.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckw2
I have a pair of Rayban Daddy-O's with prescription Transition lenses. They are really only useful for riding as they will not darken in the car, in the shade even when facing a sunny area, or when wearing a hat. I'm a little disappionted with that part of the performance but I will say when facing into the sun they go almost completely black-almost like being in an eclipse. I do like being able to wear them into a restaruant or bar and not haveing to change glasses though.
I once had a pair of RayBan aviators for several years & they were perfect for riding. They were good day & night. Only the cost has kept me from replacing them.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:33 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a pair of 7eye and a pair of wiley x, 7 eye lenses are better, darker and i have had my 7 eye for 3 years and exactly the same.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Wiley X LA lens and was never totally happy with them. I went on ebay and bought a real dark set of lenses and a set of clears.
I still have the LA but they never got dark enough for me. Maybe you can get some LA lenses on ebay instead of buying new glasses.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:50 PM
indigofarm
Tourer

i have a pair of pan optix....3 years old and they still function well....i.e., darken in the sun

Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 PM
DLW_FLHTC
Road Warrior

I have PanOptix and like them but I have never found a pair of transitions lens that are dark enough for very bright sun light.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

7eye for 3 years non perscription and work great. work the same as new. 40,000 miles on theis glasses. A fat kid broke the frames so I need to see if I can just get new frames for my lenses?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Fastfwd
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I’ve bitched about this before – I blew like $140 on Wiley X light adjusting lens glasses and they worked for about a week before they stuck semi-clear. They are total junk in my book.

I liked the Wiley X foam cup inserts so much though that I bought a second pair through my insurance to have the name brand Transition lenses installed and they work perfectly going on two years now.

Wiley X sent me a set of their dark lenses for the original pair, but basically, I paid $140 for a $70 pair of glasses.

On the subject of Wiley X – DO NOT buy the frames with the hole in the arms for the strap….. my Top Jimmies have broken three arms and they stopped making them – so, my sunglasses are now trash and my high dollar prescription Transition lens Top Jimmies will be trash as soon as they inevitably break another arm unless it just so happens to be the spare that I have left from the $140 non transitioning sunglasses pair.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:35 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

My Wiley's don't get dark enough for bright sunlight BUT they are great at night when oncoming headlights are too bright for clear lenses. The Wiley's cut the glare but stay light enough too see. So, for me, light adjusting for cloudy overcast days & night riding. Real sunglasses for sunlight.

Last edited by golfblues; 08-03-2010 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Light Adjusting Lenses - Are they all created equal?