General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most common breakdowns.......just curious.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Most common breakdowns.......just curious.

I know we ride very reliable machines. My 09 Heritage has 25K trouble free miles on it and is well maintained. Bought the 03 Wide Glide in Feb with less than 2K miles on it and now has 9K miles. I have never had a bike leave me on the side of the road, but it is inevitably going to happen to me or someone I am riding with. I wanted to ask the forums and folks with more experience than I what are the most common incidents that put you on the side of the road so that I can come up with a list and be prepared for them. It will also help me comprise a list of tools to bring on long trips as well.

Hopefully this thread can help others too buy sharing your experiences. Maybe we will remember this thread too when helping another biker on the side on the road. Thanks.

Going on another long trip soon to the Rockies.....can't wait.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:08 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I think one of the most common things is a bolt or fastener coming loose/falling off, such as the shifter linkage. Pre-ride inspection and/or checking these fasteners during oil change service will prevent this, but not all do it religiously.

I've had the jiffy stand spring break on me twice - leaving the jiffy stand dragging. Carry a spare in your saddle bag, it's about a $5 part. In fact a spare shifter linkage is a great idea to have on hand too as I've had those fail on me a couple times. Now if you have the upgraded linkage with the Heim joint then you'll not have this problem, but the standard linkage is a weak point. That's about a $15 part I think.

Those are two things that come to my mind that have happened to me more than once.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For me it's been flat tires. in 78,000+ miles I've had 3.

Other than that the only other issue I've had was when the lock nut on the clutch adjuster inside the primary backed off. Probably can blame that one on the mechanic ( me ). Not bad for that many miles. And I swear it runs better than the day it was new.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 AM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I saw you have that many miles on your roadking. I have started getting there on my 06. right at 20,000 now. they are a great machine

Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 AM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For me it has been battery/stator issues. Have been stuck on the side of the road four times because of this. Sometimes its just that the battery crapped out, and sometimes its because the stator went bad causing the battery to crap out. And no, my bike will not run without a charged battery...anytime I get under about 15 mph it will die, and even at speed it will sputter, cough, lunge and just generally ride like crap. I have learned to change out the battery like clockwork after two years, which has helped. And yes, I also know that most get more years out of their batteries.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Cajun King
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Flat tires. I have had 2 in the last 2 years. Other than that it runs like a top.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:53 AM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Ditto the stock shift linkage. The little 'sockets' wallow out and then
then pop off. (carry zip ties to repair on side of the road.)
Once my toe shifter splines stripped out. I reversed the heal
shifter with the toe one and rode on. Replaced the stripped one
when I got home.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mental breakdowns, by far!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:02 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 148 Posts

Had the return spring go in the gear box on an fxr i had years ago,spring cost around £2 but with the the bits in the gear box it screwed up plus labour the bill came to £400,the bike at the time had done about 14,000 miles and was a year out of warranty,but luckily H.D picked up the bill,other than that 3 punctures in 20 years of riding.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Battery, or bad electrical connection.

Quick Reply: Most common breakdowns.......just curious.