General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most common breakdowns.......just curious.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:03 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Clutch cable. Only thing to leave me at the side of the road. I was able to get it home, though (even through three red lights!)

Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
SoonerSoftail
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Four years and about 20k miles on a 2000 Sporty I had one clutch cable fitting break at the primary cover and one ignition module go out.

About two years and 10k on my 2005 Heritage and only one flat tire. Last week. Due to a roofing nail. Since the major hail storm in June there are thousands of roofs being replaced. Hence, millions of roofing nails being hauled off with the old roofing. And a few falling out of the junky trailers the roofers use.

One thing I do like about the Heritage over the Sporty is that things don't vibrate loose nearly as much. I had to go around the Sporty once a week and check screws. Not nearly as bad with the Heritage.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member

Like most I have had to address HD's cam chain junk but the fuel regulator is the only thing that has left me dead at a gas station on a 03 FI HD. Electrical relay went bad in the fuse box of the 03 another time but a good rap with a knife handle got me home. Then I replaced both of those relays. Battery and regulator on a 98 Evo left me dead just as I got to Dealer. New battery got me home. I had to troubleshoot the problem and found a burnout in the regulator on the back under a cover. Once removed I could see it clearly. Batteries, tires, and connectors need attention regularly. Year manufactured gives time period of problems that have occurred which isn't many. 03 has 50,000 miles and 98 has 25,000 miles. Wished the women in my life were as dependable. I prefer my dogs and Harley's to most people now.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 PM
travroc
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the responses thus far....great info.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:18 PM
bluegrassboy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Issue 1: 2010 Limited....hit 5th gear....engine rev'd like it was not in gear.....diagnosis...clutch gone....5,500 miles.....

Harley Tech answer.....not covered under warranty.....

My local dealer answer....we have discretion to make decisions....we'll cover it and recommend the SE clutch spring.......the stock spring is too soft........

they paid for labor...I paid for the SE spring......

good for me....it happened close to the dealer....I'm glad it didn't happen in the middle of no where....

Issue 2: oil on ground under bike...not good....diagnosis...bottom bolts on exhaust bracket loose where it bolts to tranny cover.....covered under warranty...fixed for no charge...

My thoughts....Pi$$ poor engineering to have an exhaust bracket bolt penetrating a fluid reservoir by design...COME ON HARLEY....

Old 07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
BCSG
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Shifter linkage went south and almost left me stranded in the town of Phuckall NoWhere. Went to the upgraded Heim one.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Barn Dog
6th Gear

Shift linkage broke 2 weeks ago. 2 zip ties and some duct tape got me home from 550 miles out. Old sportster had some issues with the gas tank liner clogging my main jet. got pretty good at road side carb cleaning

Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I have never had this breakdown thingy that you talk about. My 07 FXSTC new in Aug 06 just keeps purring away. The fob battery that is to be changed every 12 months per the owners manual gave out at 48 months. I had to spend $3 for a new one.

All my others have taken me across this North American Continent with out a fault.

My 2010 Ultra Classic just did 4K from Illinois to the Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Key West, the Everglades and across to New Orleans and back to Illinois in 100 to 105 degree heat and a 1 hour traffic tie up with out over heating, pinging or turning the mufflet blue. Even while idling for an hour it did not go into the limp mode. My legs and feet did not get hot. The HD engineers have done their work with the TC96 motor.

The ride was 8 days for 500/day. Not bad for a 70 year old rider. The 08 has done great. To the Arctic Circle and back. The 09 has had no problems. The 010 Dyna SG has 0nloy 1,200 miles but I will run it hard for the rest of the season.

Last edited by lh4x4; 07-29-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:45 PM
mtnlvr
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The only breakdown I had away from home was a grounded out stator on a 5500 mile solo trip on my EVO last fall. I was able to push start it and ride 2 hours with a gas stop without turning it off to get back to camp.

My only other breakdown just happened. Hopefully it was just the 5 year old battery I replaced.

Good idea to carry a vice grip and electrical tape and maybe some wire.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:20 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

whatever you do, DO NOT buy a 2008 Roadking!
absolutly no issues so far, however, about every 247 miles I have to put 5 1/2 gallons of gas in it!!!
come on Harley, can't you make a fuel tank that does not leak??

Quick Reply: Most common breakdowns.......just curious.