General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tired of the questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Coolbreeze
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tired of the questions

So I have had my apes on since the beginning of spring, and every time I turn around, I get the same questions about them. Aint those uncomfortable? Why would you buy and expensive bike and put something on it you can only ride for 25 miles before having to stop? Dont your arms hurt being up there like that? How do you control that thing?
Sometimes I dont even bother to answer. Sometimes I just answer the question real short. Sometimes I just put on my best biker snarl, glare at them and walk away lol!
Best answer I can come up with is "You should try it sometime", without being a complete peckerhead.
I rode all the way to the beach, its a 4 hour trip from here. I only stopped three times. One to top off the tank, one because my wifes *** got sore, and the other because the sky decided to turn on the sprinkler system (very heavy rain). Along the way, I did have to drop my hands down a few times, shake them out from being a little numb, and kept on trucking. Some people can take it, some cant. I like em! So quit asking me! Lol!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:17 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I hear ya, I had 14" Wild1's for quite a while and loved the comfort. Rode an iron Butt with them and had no regrets or discomfort. I have since switched to T-Bars and have to admit they are not as comfortable as my apes, but they are still fairly new and I am still adjusting to them.

Always seemed the first words out of anyone's mouth that had never had the pleasure of riding with apes was how uncomfortable they look. I got to where I would just tell them that they ought to try them sometime.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:40 AM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

I have mini's on my bobber. They are very comfortable, except that I feel like a parachute when I get over about 65 mph!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by fdh161
except that I feel like a parachute when I get over about 65 mph!
I have NEVER understood that statement, only difference in how you are sitting is where your arms/hands are, you are still sitting up on most Harleys. Perhaps on a sport bike you are leaning forward, but not on a HD.
I have noticed no difference on my bike now that I have swapped to T-bars.
Actually with apes you can position them so you can lean slightly back or forward, you have a helluva lot more options available with apes than with any other bars style since rotating them forward or back is quite easy to do.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not on board with the apes. Just not my cup of tea. But I promise I won't ask ya any stupid questions, coolbreeze.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:51 AM
VsTheWorld
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

people are curious about bikes, especially harleys.... mines mostly stock with the mini-apes (09SB) and I get questions from non-riders all the time, about the bars and every other little thing on it

nice bike, apes are definitely a statement!

Last edited by VsTheWorld; 07-29-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

sure does make it easer for the for the wife to reach around and give you a nipple twist. (lol)

Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

So.... are they comfortable or not?

just yankin' your chain.....I'm thinking about getting apes for my RKC eventually

Old 07-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Ultra Street Jewell
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You won't hear a word out of me about ape hangers. Now if you're shaving your arm pits and wearing a pink tank top with matching heels. I might ask......

Old 07-29-2010, 09:39 AM
fdh161
Supporter
Received 194 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I have NEVER understood that statement, only difference in how you are sitting is where your arms/hands are, you are still sitting up on most Harleys. Perhaps on a sport bike you are leaning forward, but not on a HD.
I have noticed no difference on my bike now that I have swapped to T-bars.
Actually with apes you can position them so you can lean slightly back or forward, you have a helluva lot more options available with apes than with any other bars style since rotating them forward or back is quite easy to do.
Actually, there's a HUGE difference between these bars and the 1200S Sport Bars I had before. Part of it, however, has to do with the geometry of the position of the seat. I think I need a longer mounting bracket so I could scoot the seat back another inch (or maybe I should have just welded the mount an inch further back on the main tube - haha). You might also be surprised by the amount of air deflected by your dual headlight set up as compared to the small, single one on mine. Because of the nature of my bobber, I'm catching essentially the full force of the wind from the level of my navel on up. By contrast, if I ride my Road King (without the windshield), that massive headlight pushes enough air that I don't feel air pressure until the middle part of my chest.

Last edited by fdh161; 07-29-2010 at 09:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Tired of the questions