General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

methanol in my fuel tank

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess thats one of the nice things about here in SLC UT. We have several refineries here and their stations get their fuel from their own refineries. IE Flying J to Flying J etc

Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

Methanol is not Ethanol

Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't care where me Gas comes from (OPEC or Non OPEC) as long as I can fill the tank and ride.
I use Chevron.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roadkinging
hey jeff
thanks for busting my *****. sure must be the reason i keep comming back to this web site...... maybe learn a little something and get my ***** busted. yeah... thats it
Minnesotans must just be raised that way......the only fuel stations I avoid, if I can, are Husky and Mohawk....I put some of thier gas in my bike before and it ran like a bag of ****...took 2 tanks of chevron to start running smooth again.

maybe it was just a bad batch of gas....or maybe it was the ethanol or whatever the hell that eco friendly **** is....I haven't tried them since so I can't say....but I DO know what gasses my bike does like and I stick with those if I can.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:48 AM
FlameKicker
Stage IV

We have to suffer through this just because of several U.S. Energy Acts mandating the use of ethanol so we don't have to rely on imported petroleum that much.

Don't believe what people tell you when they say that ethanol is more environment-friendly. It actually produces more greenhouse gases. (Source: methanol fuel)

Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick-O
Just some interesting info:

The following fuel companies use 100% OPEC fuel, with the exception of CITGO, which is Venezeulian, but they hate us too.
Shell, Cevron/Texaco,Exxon/Mobil,Marathon/Speedway, Amoco. They average imports from OPEC at 5,517,000 barrels a day....you do the math.

These companies listed nest use 100% NON-OPEC fuel, a fact. NO $ to OPEC from:
Sunoco, Conoco, OA Sinclair,BP/Phillips (obviously since they are in the gulf) Hess, ARCO, Maverick, Flying J, Valero, and Murphy OIL USA (which is sold at Wal-Mart)....

Perhaps consider whose pockets your gas money is going ultimately when you choose whatever grade of gas you prefer...hopefully 91 octane or better.
Your data was wrong when the info circulated on the good ol' internet back in about 2005. It ain't correct now. Besides the sources of the oil used in gasoline, you might be buying Shell gas that was refined by BP, or you might buy Conoco that was refined by Exxon. Gas companies buy their gasoline from whatever refinery is in a local area, add their own additive package, and sell it as their own. As an example this is from Murphy:

Murphy operates a network of 6 clean product terminals in the southern region and also markets product through numerous third party terminals throughout our market area including locations along the Colonial and Plantation pipeline systems in the Southeast and the Magellan pipeline system in the Midwest. In addition, Murphy has exchange agreements in place to lift products at various terminals throughout the market area. This flexibility and scale allows us to provide low cost, dependable fuel supply to our retail network and wholesale customers.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:24 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

You can get methanol anywhere. In comes in a 1 gallon bottle and its blue in color. You might have it in your car's windshield reservior.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 AM
SleeplessinVegas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
You can get methanol anywhere. In comes in a 1 gallon bottle and its blue in color. You might have it in your car's windshield reservior.
Wat chu talking about Willis ??????????????

Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 AM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 738 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Sunoco is the only one on that second list I'd consider using. Also, once the oil is refined and into the national distribution system you can't tell whose gas you are using. It all comes through common pipelines to the terminals. When the truck pulls up to the terminal to fill you don't know whose gasoline is going in that tanker. Could be Shell, could be Conoco, there's just no way of telling anymore after it's been co-mingled. What makes it Shell gas, or Texaco, or whomever's is the additive package that is manufacturer specific which gets dumped into the truck seperately. So it's a noble thing to try and not buy OPEC or Venezuelan gas, but it's almost a physical impossibility to actually do it.
Is Sunoco the only gas that is dyed blue or did they stop that?

Old 01-30-2012, 06:22 AM
JonV
Tourer

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
Sunoco is the only one on that second list I'd consider using. Also, once the oil is refined and into the national distribution system you can't tell whose gas you are using. It all comes through common pipelines to the terminals. When the truck pulls up to the terminal to fill you don't know whose gasoline is going in that tanker. Could be Shell, could be Conoco, there's just no way of telling anymore after it's been co-mingled. What makes it Shell gas, or Texaco, or whomever's is the additive package that is manufacturer specific which gets dumped into the truck seperately. So it's a noble thing to try and not buy OPEC or Venezuelan gas, but it's almost a physical impossibility to actually do it.
What he said, The Branding additives are added at a distribution point.... Most refineries only make a 87 and 97 and the two are then ratio blended to make the 89's, 91's, 93 Octanes etc.

Quick Reply: methanol in my fuel tank