General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I change my order?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006 | 05:59 PM
veniculum
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: Should I change my order?

ORIGINAL: mp

I don't think the spoked wheel will look good, or right, on the back with the wire spoked wheel on the front. The solid wheel would look much better.
I agree with you mp...as much as everyone else is saying six spoke, the deuce wheel will look more appropriate with a spoke front wheel.

Here's the update...I went to the dealer today and cancelled the order for my deuce wheel and told them to give me the six spoke instead. They told me they could have it in a week. (I was still going to have to wait until 9-15 for the installation kit...but at least I knew I'd have a wheel). After I got done taking care of that, I took a walk out to the showroom/accessories area and happened to walk by where they had some wheels displayed. I saw the six spoke displayed on the wall and noticed that it's not completely mirror chrome...only the edges of the rim and spokes are chrome...the rest is like a powdercoated silver. That's not initially what I thought I saw in the pictures and started to second guess my decision. I tried picturing that wheel on my bike and really wasn't sure how it would look.

So I got home and was all set to post here what I decided to do...I was also going to request some close up pics of the six spoke wheels from anyone that has them. Right before I hit submit my post, the phone rings. It was the dealer service manager calling to tell me that he was cancelling my original order and they told him that my deuce wheel had just shipped today.

I can't tell you how relieved I was...As much as I like Fatboy06's bike, the six spoke wheels just wouldn't have looked as good on a wide glide with a spoke front wheel. I think if it did, all the FX softail models with bobed rear fenders and spoke front wheels wouldn't come with rear disks.

In the end, there's a happy ending to my story. I'm getting what I initially wanted. There are a number of guys on the dyna forum with 06s who were also interested in this wheel upgrade. I'm happy to say that in the next two or three weeks I'll finally have a tubeless tire wheel with the disk style I've wanted since the day I brought my bike home. And even if the deuce wheel is a couple hundred bucks more than the six spoke, to me it's worth it.

Thanks again everyone for your replies.

Todd

Old 08-31-2006 | 06:30 PM
TJS48
Tourer

Hey Todd, you are making the right decision IMO. The chrome six spoke wheel does not have enough chrome and the rest is a rough finish not even polished. I looked at these wheels before going with Revtech wheels that look alot like them but are all mirror chrome. As far as the solid rear wheel, it will look much better with the front spoke wheel. A friend of mine took off his duece rear wheel and installed a Performance Machine wheel which is a super looking wheel, but it looks out of place with the front spoke wheel. It sounds like it will all work out the way you originaly planned.

Old 08-31-2006 | 06:51 PM
veniculum
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: TJS48

Hey Todd, you are making the right decision IMO. The chrome six spoke wheel does not have enough chrome and the rest is a rough finish not even polished. I looked at these wheels before going with Revtech wheels that look alot like them but are all mirror chrome. As far as the solid rear wheel, it will look much better with the front spoke wheel. A friend of mine took off his duece rear wheel and installed a Performance Machine wheel which is a super looking wheel, but it looks out of place with the front spoke wheel. It sounds like it will all work out the way you originaly planned.
Thanks Tom...I totally agree man. Your WG looks great buddy!

Todd

BTW...colbolt...the air cleaner is just a K&N open element with the Harley slotted collection air cleaner insert. Nice and simple and I like the way it looks. Thanks man.

Old 08-31-2006 | 08:47 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Get the disc wheel..........