General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bring Full Face Helmet if going to Sturgis

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:57 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 52 Posts

I hate full face helmets but glad I cargo netted a flip up on the back. Came in hand a couple times on our 3500 round trip to Sturgis.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:43 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it hails there all the time thats one of the reasons i do not know why guys or gals go there

Old 07-28-2010, 09:01 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts
Question

The ancient Greeks thought that Thor threw Lightening Bolts from Mount Olympus . . . just wondering who the folks in South Dakota have pissed off . . .

Old 07-28-2010, 09:16 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thats gonna leave a mark

Old 07-28-2010, 09:23 PM
chromedome09
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

speaking of hail.... I got the chit beat out of me last year.. it was only dime to golf ball size.. I was no the bike. skid lid, tshirt and jeans and boots..thunderstorm popped up out of nowhere. I only rode in it about 1/4 mile till I could find shelter.. I looked like someone beat the chit out of me with a ball peen hammer. I had bruises all over my upper body. yup rain I can handle.. hail storms NO. From my experiance.. you get hit with one that big.. FF ain't gonna save you, best hope your life insurance is paid up.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:58 PM
whiskeyrider
Stellar HDF Member
Received 326 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by noname
I've pissed bigger gall stones than that ya pussies. OK I'm lying, sorry. Noname

Noname, you been in the bar again. Just kidding,WR.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM
mailmanhugh
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a little experience with South Dakota hailstorms. I was stationed at Ellsworth AFB (East of Rapid City) back in the 80's and we had a hailstorm destroy both of our cars and break a few windows in the base housing we were living in. We could see the hailstorm coming across the prairie toward the house. Super black clouds, then a wall of white. Then all he@# broke loose. I don't think a full face helmet would make me feel too safe in a storm like that.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:40 AM
TequilaJohn
Outstanding HDF Member

Little tip for you first timers...if you're riding along and it starts to sprinkle rain or looks likes it's gonna...and then, the temps plummet, seek shelter quickly because the hail ain't far behind.

A bud and I got caught in a hail storm crossing the summit at Flaming Gorge in Utah...in the middle of nowhere, with no shelter in sight. Luckily, we had befriended a family at a scenic pullout earlier that day...and, they happened by just after the hail started, as we were on the side of the road trying to dig out anything we could find in our saddlebags to shelter ourselves. They whipped their pickup in front of us, backed up real close to us...the dude jumped out with his jacket pulled over his head, opened the camper shell, and yelled for us to wait it out in the back. After it was over, we offered to stop at the first decent eatery and buy 'em all steaks for lunch, but they just wished us well and continued on their way.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:24 AM
snakeinthegrass
Road Master

Okay I relent, don't bring a full face helmet, just man up and take it on the head and see if you can make it to a safe shelter, if not, well, good luck. Maybe if you had on a helmet in a hail storm they would recognize your face even if the rest of your body was black and blue, dented and scratched. LOL No one could stand up to a horde of 2lb ice chucks raining down on you at __ mph. Regardless, I am leaving for Sturgis 1 August, hail or no hail, rain or no rain, heat or no heat.

Last edited by snakeinthegrass; 07-29-2010 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:13 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

TequilaJohn
"Little tip for you first timers...if you're riding along and it starts to sprinkle rain or looks likes it's gonna...and then, the temps plummet, seek shelter quickly because the hail ain't far behind. "

Another tip I got from my first wife (she was raised on a farm in southern MN) - If you see a thunderhead and if the lightning is cloud-to-cloud (long rumbling thunder rather than a quick bang), you better prepare for hail. I've followed that advice many times and gotten off the lake or off the road in a nick of time. (It didn't help me a couple weeks ago though when I got caught in a nasty hail storm on the bike. I kinda got beat up a bit. There was no warning except for the black sky and some wind that was ripping trees out by the roots.)

Last edited by rh8234; 07-29-2010 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Bring Full Face Helmet if going to Sturgis