General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley's are so heavy...(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 03:19 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WESeib
Do you have an opinion on paint thickness or are you just flappin your cockholder for S&G's?

OMFG!!!! Almost pissed myself laughing reading that comment. Not only does he not have an opinion on the paint he can't read. So just him "I was talking about WWII dil hole!"

Just for S&G's yesterday I sent an email to HD about the clear coat claim.

Beerfart, S.C. Must be another jarhead.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:45 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by pdfiddler
US has not won a war since WWII.
Where the f**k did THAT come from?

Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

"Are you sure you won WW2?"

Old 07-29-2010, 05:48 PM
tracey87
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems to be hit and miss. Original fender was thin enough it would shake quite a bit when started. The paint started to peels away from the metal, like it wasn't prepped correctly. So, i ordered a new one, the fender was quite a bit thicker and so was the paint. And it didn't shake quit as much either due to the thicker metal.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default tempest in a teapot

Generally all motorcycle builders take the time to apply a finish acceptable to their customers. Keeping down manufacturing repair costs is what motivates Moco to produce a good finish to begin with. Any minuscule differences between bike-makers in paint/clear-coat film thicknesses are due largely to the recommendations of the paint supplier and are incidental to long-term value. Probably most Harley's are stored indoors or covered, at least. To heck w/ bragging rights over the inefficiencies of their finishing process.

Put in its' proper perspective, I'd be much more impressed to see Moco's time focused on abolishing time-bombs like inner primary bearings, pressed-together crankshafts, chain followers..., the all-too-common catastrophic failures waiting to happen.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,675 Likes on 1,268 Posts

IF only we could get them to make there chrome that thick !

Old 07-29-2010, 09:28 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, I'm pretty impressed with the paint quality on mine. Buffed out several scratches that I was pretty leery about.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:46 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I believe it. I had a heck of a time stripping my tins back in the springtime. Airplane remover just wasn't cutting through it but it sure did a number on my hands and face the one time is splashed.

I ended up using a stripping wheel which took me several hours to do. Ok, more like half a day to do all three tins.
A couple months ago I stripped my 99 883 XL down. Had to do it with the wire wheel. No brand of paint stripper would cut the clear and base.

Painted it, all looked good, then this morning noticed my brand new paint was peeling off due to gas leaking out the gas cap. Didn't think I overfilled it, but now the paintjob on the gas tank is toasted.......All the way to the metal, again. And it was so damned pretty, too............sniff, sniff.

Just remember, 6mm is 1/4", only 24 mm to an inch...........So 5mm is much to thick, lmao. If there is such a thing, anyway.

RD

Old 07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
rhinotheking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

I've got orange peel on my front fender too. 2010 RKC. AND, the clearcoat may be thick, but its soft. Once, yes, one time, I used paper towel to wipe gas splash from around the spout and I have marks that need buffing out. Disappointed and the dealer will be getting a visit to see it.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Nobody keeps those pee shooters, Harley riders prefer 308's 7.62 mm).

If the cc is 5mm thick they must dip the parts in the stuff numerous times. I am pretty sure the AV nerd screwed up the text.

Originally Posted by Route66rider
5 mm? Just pick up a round laying on your desk for that ever handy "AR" everyone keeps nearby!

Quick Reply: Why Harley's are so heavy...(pics)