General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Harley's are so heavy...(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:23 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OMG that is just TFF! 5mm? Hells bells what are they trying to do make it bullet proof too?! That's like enough clear coat to just about match the diameter of .22 caliber round. Dayum that would be thick and add just a bit of weight.

The painting time really isn't that impressive when guesstimate probably 95% of that is drying time. But I'm guessing the tour guide forget to say mention that part. The average cage has 2 - 4 mils and sometimes 5 not sure about bikes but I would guess it's about the same. So staying in the ballpark or just over the fence.

Sticking with 5 mil theory myself. But it was an amusing read.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM
vonzoog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BBStacker
The painting time really isn't that impressive when guesstimate probably 95% of that is drying time. But I'm guessing the tour guide forget to say mention that part. The average cage has 2 - 4 mils and sometimes 5 not sure about bikes but I would guess it's about the same. So staying in the ballpark or just over the fence.

Your point is taken, but, in this day and age when time and speed of production is top priority by the "bean counters" I still believe this to be impressive.

Watched a show abut Honda last week on the History Channel and they couldn't stop bragging on how fast they could produce a bike right down to the second.

Just saying.........

Last edited by vonzoog; 07-28-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:35 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by vonzoog
FYI:

I was at the York Plant a couple of weeks ago and the wife and I did the "Walk The Line 2010" tour of the touring model plant. Anyway there was a display of fenders at different stages of primer, paint, and clear seal. The tour guide went out of his way to point out that it took 7 hours of time for every tank or fender that was a solid (one) color to make. It took 12 hours for two-tone and pinstriped paint schemes. Also stated that Harley-Davidson have 4 or 7 times (I can't remember which) the amount of layer of clear coat than the average cars being sold in the US today.

This impressed and amazed me that much time was dedicated to produce a finish product just for the painting alone. Obviously, Harley-Davidon takes great pride in their paint products.

Then why is there so much orange peel in my front fender?
Maybe the robot was having a bad day.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:40 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I know Harleys paint is fairly thick, because I've buffed out a couple of deep scratches on my '02 Ultra's fairing that I did NOT think I could clean up!

vonzoog
Tourer

Carperide.

Hey I not trying to start anything here. Just telling you what I saw and what I thought. My new 2010 has perfect paint on the fenders and tank. The top of my bags look perfect. The back and sides of my bags have orange peel to them.

The painting process the tour was showing was all metal items and I didn't even see any of the painted "plastic" parts like the saddlebags.

oneroadking
Cruiser

Its not a metric so no mm

Old 07-28-2010, 12:51 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm? Scatched my tank with my jacket zipper last winter so it's not bullet proof.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:55 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Carperide.

Hey I not trying to start anything here. Just telling you what I saw and what I thought. My new 2010 has perfect paint on the fenders and tank. The top of my bags look perfect. The back and sides of my bags have orange peel to them.

The painting process the tour was showing was all metal items and I didn't even see any of the painted "plastic" parts like the saddlebags.
well, my saddlebags I bought new from Harley have pretty good paint but my front fender (I think it's metal) is not all that great. Maybe it's a hit or miss thing.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Good paint

I have owned a few new Harleys from different eras and always been impressed by the paint quality. My latest new Brilliant Silver Pearl Street Glides paint is smooth and looks nice and deep. Beautiful flawless paint. I suppose a lemon can be had in most anything, people included!!

Old 07-28-2010, 01:56 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your point is taken, but, in this day and age when time and speed of production is top priority by the "bean counters" I still believe this to be impressive.

Watched a show abut Honda last week on the History Channel and they couldn't stop bragging on how fast they could produce a bike right down to the second.

Just saying.........
I agree with you. Rice burners are built faster than you can blink an eye. Hell the only thing they can't do over there better than us is win a war. If you get the chance watch the program about Ducati, now that's impressive.

Last edited by BBStacker; 07-29-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Why Harley's are so heavy...(pics)