General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I likeum quiet.When I said that to my friend he asked me have you ever rode behind your bike?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:53 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*

And that's with a little hearing loss from flying in helicopters in the Army back in the 60's...

Just sayin...

Now that is the sound of relief; a four blade rotary cutting air above the tree (canopy)tops.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:49 AM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
If you think that's "the way life should be", that's cool, you're where you need to be... but you wouldn't be happy in Ohio...we're not big on restrictive legislation, and for the most part, the boys in the Statehouse understand that...
Uh, I think he said, "The way life should not be."

Kinda different, don't you think...?

Old 07-28-2010, 12:57 PM
onaride63
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I inheirited my HD when my Father passed away. He had straight drag pipes on it. We couldn't get it to have any power out of the hole. So I bought a set of stock factory pipes. It is a little bit TOO quiet, but I can live with it. I don't believe in the hype of the "loud pipes save lives" theory. Other drivers can't hear them good unless they are behind you, and if they are behind you, you are pretty safe unless they are going to rear-end you.

Otherwise they won't hear you unless you are accelerating, and then you are pulling away from danger.

Just my opinion, that and a dollar 11 will buy ya something off the dollar menu in Va!
people hear me coming. 2 yrs ago an old granny pulled up next to me and said quote ( young man. I just about pulled out in front of you. I didn't see you coming but heard something and then you passed in front of me. I'm so sorry )......that says enough for me....

Old 07-28-2010, 01:20 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never took mine off.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:37 PM
stevent
Road Master

I like 'em quit myself. I've worked in high pressure steam plants for 35 years and hear all the noise I need to 8 hrs a day. I ran the stock pipes for 25k on my '08 FLHT but just recently picked up a set of the 4 inch SE Street Performance Touring Mufflers. To me they're a perfect compromise between stock bike quiet and a nice Harley rumble and they flow better above 4k when I'm pulling on the freeway or passing. Plus they're EPA stamped so they should work with all the soon-to-be noise enforcement.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:59 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunkholes
Uh, I think he said, "The way life should not be."

Kinda different, don't you think...?

I stand corrected...

Thanks for pointing out that I missed the key word there...

Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by valvestem
I am, I live in Maine. "The way life should not be." Thanks to a recently revised state law regarding loud exhaust noise, pushed through the state goverment and effective July 12th this year, at the behest of a group called MECALM. Remember the name, they will be coming to a state near you in the future.

My apology for misreading your previous post...I missed the key word "not" at the beginning of your comment...

You were apparently giving me a heads-up on the MECALM group and I missed the opportunity to say thanks...

Old 07-28-2010, 08:01 PM
BCGlide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Goobernogin
Has anyone on here ever wished they had their stock pipes pipes put back on their bikes. My bike came with Vance and Hines with Screaming Eagle racing tuner. They seem to be gettint louder and louder. I'm not sure but thinking about getting stock pipes replaced on Heritage. Am I crazy or what.
Well I'm crazy too... threw my stockers back on and ebay'd all the stage one stuff.

Hated to accelerate hard from a light, just to make all that noise, yet not be much quicker than a modern day sedan.

Discreet can be cool in it's own way.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:39 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ask your mommy she will tell you what to do

Quick Reply: loud pipes