General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 07:00 AM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

only when pulling in the drive at 3:00 am and my wife was expecting me back at 11.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Wicked Cricket
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your lookin' for stock pipes there no shortage of them, everyone has at least 1 set stashed in the garage....lol heck, I'd sell ya a pair, fairly cheap...? hehehhe

Old 07-28-2010, 07:31 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just took out the competition baffle on my pro pipe and modified it to become a standard baffle (cut the nozzle off and welded a end cap on)...much better, I can now ride with out ear plugs. Have a look at changing out the baffle

Old 07-28-2010, 08:29 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I hear more and more bikes running stock exhaust around here, but the % is still fairly small. I rode a 2010 stock Heritage for a day a while back and could not stand the sound of the bike. I could not hear the exhaust, just engine clatter. I liked the bike, but those pipes would have had to go. I run SE's on mine, so I'm into the LOUD pipe deal. But, if I wanted a Honda, I would have bought a Honda.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:41 AM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by *NIGHT TRAIN*
I don't think I KNOW anyone running stock pipes on a Harley...
I am, I live in Maine. "The way life should not be." Thanks to a recently revised state law regarding loud exhaust noise, pushed through the state goverment and effective July 12th this year, at the behest of a group called MECALM. Remember the name, they will be coming to a state near you in the future.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:57 AM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,773 Likes on 2,336 Posts

My bike came wth Python 3's. When I bought it I asked the seller for the stock pipes since I come home from work at midnight and figured the neighbors would get pissed. Now it's 2 months later, the Python 3's ( which I love the sound ) are still on, no complaints from the neighbors. I asked the cop that lives a couple housed down if he hears me, he said no problem. Our bedroom is right over the garage and the wife doesn't even hear me. I just try to be quiet and it seems to work.

Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No I have never wished that one. I even pulled the baffles out of my MB pipes to make them louder LOL! If it's too loud than your too old LOL!

Old 07-28-2010, 09:07 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

If you want your V&H pipes a bit quieter (2-3 db.), try adding the V&H quiet baffles. I did and am not sorry. My bike is still louder than stock, but has a much more pleasing tone and is no longer ear splitting loud.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by valvestem
I am, I live in Maine. "The way life should not be." Thanks to a recently revised state law regarding loud exhaust noise, pushed through the state goverment and effective July 12th this year, at the behest of a group called MECALM. Remember the name, they will be coming to a state near you in the future.

If you think that's "the way life should be", that's cool, you're where you need to be... but you wouldn't be happy in Ohio...we're not big on restrictive legislation, and for the most part, the boys in the Statehouse understand that...

Down here it's loud pipes, no helmets, and CCW permits to protect our happy asses and our rights!

Old 07-28-2010, 10:41 AM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
I inheirited my HD when my Father passed away. He had straight drag pipes on it. We couldn't get it to have any power out of the hole. So I bought a set of stock factory pipes. It is a little bit TOO quiet, but I can live with it. I don't believe in the hype of the "loud pipes save lives" theory. Other drivers can't hear them good unless they are behind you, and if they are behind you, you are pretty safe unless they are going to rear-end you.

Otherwise they won't hear you unless you are accelerating, and then you are pulling away from danger.

Just my opinion, that and a dollar 11 will buy ya something off the dollar menu in Va!

I'll have to venture my opinion that people who can only hear loud pipes if they're behind the bike have a serious hearing problem...or are in denial because the "loud pipes save lives" idea just doesn't fit their personal agendas...

My best friend lives a few blocks away from me, and my property runs from the street in front of my house to the other side of the block and the street that runs BEHIND my house, which is where my garage is...

I can stand in my driveway by my garage, and hear my friend heading to my place while he's at least 2 blocks away from the FRONT of my house...

And that's with a little hearing loss from flying in helicopters in the Army back in the 60's...

Just sayin...

Quick Reply: loud pipes