General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 AM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your ears bleed they're perfect.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Colin1966
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I ride with my dad who rides a Goldwing, he stays way back when riding with a bunch of us on Harley's he just hates the noise & lets us know it
If you decide to get ride of the longshots let me know as I am looking for a set for the wife's deluxe.

Colin

Old 07-28-2010, 12:19 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I inheirited my HD when my Father passed away. He had straight drag pipes on it. We couldn't get it to have any power out of the hole. So I bought a set of stock factory pipes. It is a little bit TOO quiet, but I can live with it. I don't believe in the hype of the "loud pipes save lives" theory. Other drivers can't hear them good unless they are behind you, and if they are behind you, you are pretty safe unless they are going to rear-end you.

Otherwise they won't hear you unless you are accelerating, and then you are pulling away from danger.

Just my opinion, that and a dollar 11 will buy ya something off the dollar menu in Va!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

My 1st HD had Thunderheaders on it. From the rider's seat it sounded fine, but folks behind me complained.

Next HD had SE II's. Little quieter, but still a decent sound.....'cept on long trips...the droning got old after a couple of hrs.

Current bike has stock mufflers. I love rolling down the highway at 75, and can still hear the radio clear as a bell. It is TOO quiet tho.....I have a pair of MO's that I am going to install this coming weekend.

I feel no need to try to impress others with noise.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Bobby H
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

negative on the stock pipes, I love my V&H Big Shots, now it sounds like a Harley

Old 07-28-2010, 03:00 AM
XLCR4GM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a good friend that we call FISHEYE. When FISHEYE first bought his 2002 XL883 off the dealer’s showroom floor and they started it up for him he told me that it was TOO quite! After a re-jet of the carb and a set of Cycle Shack slip-ons and the SE Air/Cleaner intake upgrade, he was a very happy camper. A few weeks ago, after he has put almost 50,000 miles on that bike, he called up and said that he wanted to go back to stock. I told him that he wouldn’t like it but that I would do the change over to stock for him. He rode it about two weeks with the stock stuff back on and he called me up again and he said “Put her back the way she was! I can’t stand it, it doesn't sound like a HARLEY, it’s TOO quite!” I put the free flowing systems that he had enjoyed for so long back on his bike and he is once again a very happy camper. The moral of the story is: Once a FISHEYE, always a FISHEYE! So… don’t be a FISHEYE too!

I have a '07 XL1200L Low that has a set of SE slip-ons installed on it and it is fairly quite compared to other bikes that I have. The neighbors like that one more than the rest too! Two bikes that I own currently have the stock exhaust installed (so far) but this is a temporary situation that will change with additional funding in the very near future. Sorry neighbors!

Old 07-28-2010, 05:58 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

No problem, I mounted my self engineered and produced BAVO dB killers. Adjustable in three steps from 'standard sound" to 'half open' to ' full open'. Mounted in my S&S slip on's Shotguns in five minutes. Adjusting? Two minutes per exhaust. Coming on the internetmarket in September next.
Pic is hereby during the present test phase (very very succesfull up till now, even beyond expectations)
Applicable on every 3" straight slip on (may have a slash end but need to be straight same diameter)
2 1/2 inch is under engineering and will follow soon.

Attached Thumbnails loud pipes-bavo-db-killer-3-inch.jpg  
Old 07-28-2010, 06:29 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Goobernogin
Has anyone on here ever wished they had their stock pipes pipes put back on their bikes. My bike came with Vance and Hines with Screaming Eagle racing tuner. They seem to be gettint louder and louder. I'm not sure but thinking about getting stock pipes replaced on Heritage. Am I crazy or what.
Of course your not! Went through a phase myself and needed the loudest pipes on the planet.Used to get back from runs along with other jockeys running straight pipes,ears would ring for 3 or 4 days.Finally grew out of it.Now mufflers are built specifically for motors,no more unbearabley loud,just a more powerful sound.Much better music and a heck of a lot better on the ears.Not to mention the pending noise laws creeping up on us all.Always more relaxed knowing I blend in rather than the whole world know I'm coming,especially the LEO's

Old 07-28-2010, 06:37 AM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No--I don't miss my stock pipes.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I juts put V & H 2-1 Big Radius on my bike, and yes they are LOUD and awesome.

You can not beat the sound of the big V-Twin.

Like Jethro Tull Says: Never Too Old To Rock & Roll. If its too loud geat ear plugs and ride safe.

Quick Reply: loud pipes