General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New models disappointing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptJIM
That new RKC is really interesting, and I love the new tank badge.
+1 Noticed that tank badge and love it too.

Old 07-28-2010, 10:47 AM
hdbe
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trailfndr
ABS available on Softasils...might just have to think about a new Deluxe for the wifey..just for the extra safety features

for a minute there i thought you were getting your wife some new soft tassels

Old 07-28-2010, 10:48 AM
greenkid98
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That badge is pretty sweet, also liking the tank scheme on the superlow with the script hd

Old 07-28-2010, 11:07 AM
babyray
Tourer

Originally Posted by doghair
You want to talk disappointed? The whole time I was growing up I was told I would have a flying car by the year 2000, I don't see no freakin' flying car in my garage.
Its almost there,Terrafugia Transition, around $180,000.00 their working out the bugs right now and have orders for eighty.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:17 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
when they said they wanted to appeal more to the women, they weren't kidding.
Ya, who'd a thunk it, the Rocker is the new CHIC bike!!!!! You XL & Deluxe riders can take a break now.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:36 AM
gdtrfb
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by monstead
I do think the CVO's are well-done...personally, I really like the paint schemes & feel they are an improvement over most of last years. That green/teal/black CVO SG has me salivating. (and prolly makes a few of you puke! )
I'm with you, monstead. I love that kryptonite green CVO SG. That's my new lottery bike!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:42 AM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Harley_Dude
Ya, who'd a thunk it, the Rocker is the new CHIC bike!!!!! You XL & Deluxe riders can take a break now.
especially in powder puff blue or lipstick red

Old 07-28-2010, 12:01 PM
8balla
Intermediate

Lots of conversation here some good some bad, my take on the 011's is pretty simple. When I look at the 010 line there were models and colors that made me shudder, and others that made me drool, I see 011 the same way. My only disappointment (or better worded expecation that wasn't met) is the lack of the statement bike. In 09 the Iron 883 got people drooling for a small nimble toy, and the 010 "forty-eight" appealed to a dark custom crowd looking for the new age old schoool tough guy ride, to me this year doesn't have that, the superlow aint the same cat as those previous "hook" bikes and I think MOCO will have a tougher time appealing to new riders because of it. For the record I am one of the guys who got hooked by the Iron883. It started me looking and as I learned and studied the line I ended up on the Fatboy LO, likely the exact intention of MOCO when they built that hook model.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:03 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by 8balla
My only disappointment (or better worded expecation that wasn't met) is the lack of the statement bike. In 09 the Iron 883 got people drooling for a small nimble toy, and the 010 "forty-eight" appealed to a dark custom crowd looking for the new age old schoool tough guy ride, to me this year doesn't have that,
i'm not sure about the iron, but the 48 was a mid year release, so there is still hope for you yet..... just cause they don't have it now, doesn't mean they won't.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:24 PM
mavrickFLHR
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
To be fair, I think given the circumstances they did as much as they could. Over the last three years sales have fallen from 350K bikes to just over 200K, they closed Buell and had to eat nearly $80 million in closing costs. They tried to buy a high end growth brand - MV Agusta - and didn't know how to market it or integrate it into their fold. That cost $200 million plus. They lost $500 million on their finance arm - HDFS - and borrowed $2 billion from Warren Buffet at a 10% interest rate to keep their finances tolerable.

Despite all of that, they added an ABS option to their touring bikes in 2008, expanded that to the Softail line for 2011; redesigned the frames on their touring models in 2009 providing better cooling and ground clearance along with greater carrying capacity and a larger fuel tank, designed and built a real Harley trike, not a conversion from a third party in 2009, and did dozens of small upgrades to all the models that individually don't seem like much, but collectively are quite a bit of added value.

Look at the difference from 2006 to today. In five years, all of the above happened, including the worst economy since the depression, and despite that Harley has updated all of their models, introduced the 96 engine and six speed transmission, and upgraded all engines to fuel injection.

I could go on and on, but what other business do you know of that has lost almost half of its sales by unit volume in five years has managed to come close to what the Motor Company has managed to do? None of their managers has been sued for stealing, lying, taking company funds or anything else. Yes, they have cut some workers out, but they are selling 150,000 fewer bikes - something has to give.

Next up is the 2012 California emissions standards - that would doom any other air cooled company on the planet. Somehow Harley will survive - maybe by designing an oil cooled cylinder (like BMW has done on the R series), or by introducing a V-Rod powered alternative to the touring bikes. I don't know what they'll do, but given their history, I'm very confident that they will figure it out and survive.

And if the economy does revive, they will be the first to benefit. There are almost 300,000 fewer Harley motorcycles on the road for 2008-2010 model years than there were in prior years. Less inventory hangover to depress prices, and lots of room to expand production if demand returns.

Frankly I think they've done a great job - and we have all benefited from it. Compare the cost of a 2011 bike to a 2006 model - consider the upgrades that have been added in the last five years and the cost of today's bike is cheaper than the 2006 equivalent. Then consider the still better than anything else on the planet resale value, and Harley wins again.

I've owned lots of bikes from lots of different manufacturers - no one has done better than they have; they are The Motor Company for a reason. They are the best.

Rant over.

What he said...

All I'll add is the more I know about the Road Glide the more I like it.. don't get me wrong, I love my Batwing Ultra.. but I really think the RG Ultra will be a hit, especially in the western half of the country. I also like the changes to the XR.. with the rear suspension upgrade... I can very easily see one in my garage as a second bike..

Cheers

mavrick

Quick Reply: New models disappointing?