General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New models disappointing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 11:44 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are always plenty of people around here to complain about the changes or lack there-of, that's one thing that we can depend on. Jeez guys...can't some of you ever find anything good to say? Thing is, most of us really only "need" 1 bike and if you guys can't find one in this line-up that floats your boat, well then, perhaps this isn't the model year for you.

As far as changes...I think the MOCO did a pretty good job. The Road Glide Ultra many have clammered for is in the mix. ABS on the Softails - that's a nice one. 103"/ABS/security is now standard on the Road King Classic and is an option on the other baggers. Baggers have "packages"...nice touch IMHO. Dual pipes back on the SG...Sporty Ultra-low is likely to be a winner. Like that it has a 4.5 gal tank too.

As far as the colors...I think they are "better" than the '10's, but then again, I'm a chick. I also agree with the poster who said to wait to see them in person. That usually makes a big difference. I mean seriously guys, what colors do you think they should have added/deleted? Let 10 of you answer this and I'm betting that we get 10 different answers...which would highlight the fact you can't please everyone!

I do think the CVO's are well-done...personally, I really like the paint schemes & feel they are an improvement over most of last years. That green/black CVO SG has me salivating. (and prolly makes a few of you puke! )

Again, like another poster alluded to, in this extremely difficult economy, I think it would have been way too risky for H-D to stick their necks out there with major changes.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:29 AM
travroc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that denim black XR1200X Sportster.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:47 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,651 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Can't believe there's no FX Softail besides the X-bones. No low rider. And once again, the WideGlide is a styling DISASTER,as is the Rocker. I'll keep my '04 & '05 thank you.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aren't you happy??

Wow. What a thread! First and foremost:Aren't you people glad there IS a 2011 lineup??? And for all of you that want big innovations,you sound like that political party that has an eleph..never mind-you know which one! LOTS of complaining but not one new worthwhile focking idea! Just **** and moan about current situation but offer nothing to help to the mix! I'd love to see the 103's stock across the line too (since Vic has gone 106 stage 2/6 speed across the board). I suggest reading their second qtr report thats on the home page. I now see why they are reluctant to offer a very popular engine upgrade across the line: MONEY/PROFITS! But-they also equal survival techniques for the future. What are u gonna customize on a Victory? The seat and pipes? Not much money for the company in upgrades/mods! Not a slam to Vic's cuz I like them too but I wouldn't give up my Harley for one. Rant complete-that is all. Beer time....

Old 07-28-2010, 02:18 AM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
That green/black CVO SG has me salivating. (and prolly makes a few of you puke! )
You mean that Kryptonite/Black Diamond? I too am drooling over it, is my feminine side showing?

Need a windfall and a larger garage...

Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have to say, the new frigging ugly *** blue (<--- technical term) is the gayest color I have ever seen. I like the RG Ultra, almost makes me wish I held off from buying my 2010 RG in February like I did. A standard 103, it makes me happy. I wish they upped the CVO engines a bit though. I couldnt justify a $13,000 jump just for 7 cubic inches and a few upgrades. But thats just me

Old 07-28-2010, 02:40 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be disappointed if I felt a compelling reason to run out and buy one. I just bought one in '08 and I'm planning on getting ten years out of it.

Old 07-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Biggun-fxr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the Road Glide Ultra. But it's not available in orange yet. I'll just stay with the 07 for a while. Still love it too.

Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 AM
HD 472
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hoosierhog88
I own and operate a Harley Davidson motorcycle for the very reasons H-D has had for so long. I like the way it sounds. I like the way it rides. I like the way it feels when it idles and I like the way it feels when it is up to highway speed. I like the way I feel when I dismount after a nice ride and I like the way I feel when I just look at it.

If I want 21st century innovations, I'd buy a Victory or other plastic bike. I don't want water-cooled mambie/pambie motorcycles. I want one that has the look, feel and features that make it what it is... a Harley Davidson.

Seriously folks, if you have so much to bitch about with the new ones, then don't buy one. If you don't like what you currently own, then sell it and get one that you like. It really isn't that tough.

Given a vote, I think the majority of Harley Davidson owners prefer to leave things alone and let the Japanese companies build and sell the next "ah-ha".
Yep, what he said...

Old 07-28-2010, 06:46 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
To be fair, I think given the circumstances they did as much as they could. Over the last three years sales have fallen from 350K bikes to just over 200K, they closed Buell and had to eat nearly $80 million in closing costs. They tried to buy a high end growth brand - MV Agusta - and didn't know how to market it or integrate it into their fold. That cost $200 million plus. They lost $500 million on their finance arm - HDFS - and borrowed $2 billion from Warren Buffet at a 10% interest rate to keep their finances tolerable.

Despite all of that, they added an ABS option to their touring bikes in 2008, expanded that to the Softail line for 2011; redesigned the frames on their touring models in 2009 providing better cooling and ground clearance along with greater carrying capacity and a larger fuel tank, designed and built a real Harley trike, not a conversion from a third party in 2009, and did dozens of small upgrades to all the models that individually don't seem like much, but collectively are quite a bit of added value.

Look at the difference from 2006 to today. In five years, all of the above happened, including the worst economy since the depression, and despite that Harley has updated all of their models, introduced the 96 engine and six speed transmission, and upgraded all engines to fuel injection.

I could go on and on, but what other business do you know of that has lost almost half of its sales by unit volume in five years has managed to come close to what the Motor Company has managed to do? None of their managers has been sued for stealing, lying, taking company funds or anything else. Yes, they have cut some workers out, but they are selling 150,000 fewer bikes - something has to give.

Next up is the 2012 California emissions standards - that would doom any other air cooled company on the planet. Somehow Harley will survive - maybe by designing an oil cooled cylinder (like BMW has done on the R series), or by introducing a V-Rod powered alternative to the touring bikes. I don't know what they'll do, but given their history, I'm very confident that they will figure it out and survive.

And if the economy does revive, they will be the first to benefit. There are almost 300,000 fewer Harley motorcycles on the road for 2008-2010 model years than there were in prior years. Less inventory hangover to depress prices, and lots of room to expand production if demand returns.

Frankly I think they've done a great job - and we have all benefited from it. Compare the cost of a 2011 bike to a 2006 model - consider the upgrades that have been added in the last five years and the cost of today's bike is cheaper than the 2006 equivalent. Then consider the still better than anything else on the planet resale value, and Harley wins again.

I've owned lots of bikes from lots of different manufacturers - no one has done better than they have; they are The Motor Company for a reason. They are the best.

Rant over.

I couldn't agree more! I like my noisy push rod activated air cooled nostalgic but also advanced powerplant just fine. Harley is doing a good job in one hell of a tough market. If you aren't happy with the technology, buy the technology you are happy with, there are a lot of choices. I have been happy with my choice for more than 30 years and continue to be thrilled every time I climb aboard my Putt!

Quick Reply: New models disappointing?