General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud click when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Okay, seems to have done the trick.

I did the free play adjustment while it was cold. There was some play in the set screw but I took it up, backed off 1/2 turn, used a dog-bone to get the jam nut close and a deep well to nail the torque.

Took a ride and got her all warmed up. Now it's just a whirring sound, much smoother. My shift clunk is back to normal...still there of course but not as pronounced.

I drained the Redline and let it drip for a good while. Refilled with Formula+, torqued everything up and took another ride.

Even a little more quiet. Gentle whirring sound lever out, goes quiet lever in.

So, I'm acutely aware of the sound and if it changes at all I'll have a more practiced hand take a look.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Dragan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a Harley...it "CLUNKS" into gear. They all do, some louder than others. Also related to gearbox noise is how vigorously you hammer the shifter with your foot. That seems to be a Harley rider thing; ever watch someone on a Harley sitting at a light in neutral? Light changes, left foot comes off the ground and slams down on the shifter, sometimes from great heights. I dunno why...I do it too sometimes....

Old 07-26-2010, 06:54 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragan
It's a Harley...it "CLUNKS" into gear. They all do, some louder than others. Also related to gearbox noise is how vigorously you hammer the shifter with your foot. That seems to be a Harley rider thing; ever watch someone on a Harley sitting at a light in neutral? Light changes, left foot comes off the ground and slams down on the shifter, sometimes from great heights. I dunno why...I do it too sometimes....
'cause it's so cool to do. isn't that what Harleys are all about?