General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

loud click when shifting gears

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Bart van der Meulen
Road Master
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

My Heritage Classic telle me exactly when I am shifting in every gear. Without exception: "klunk' and with any speed. My dealer told me that if you don't hear that or your ***** stop vibrating you have for sure a big problem. Or you must have stopped the engine, of course...

Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM
seikan1
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erickernz
i have a 2010 sportster iron, when i engage clutch and place in first gear she clicks(almost bags pretty loud).. is this normal? also when i shift to anygear she does.. thanks eric
When I bought my 2006 Sportster, the noise made me think something was wrong. I have since learned that it is a feature just like many of the older Harleys marking their territory with a little oil here and there.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Great Gazoo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats the sound of giddyup!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:08 AM
ia2189
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXSwede
It's not a glitch, it's a feature.
Originally Posted by Bart van der Meulen
My Heritage Classic telle me exactly when I am shifting in every gear. Without exception: "klunk' and with any speed. My dealer told me that if you don't hear that or your ***** stop vibrating you have for sure a big problem. Or you must have stopped the engine, of course...
Same feature/experience here. Good posts!

Old 07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Before starting have the gear in neutral. Then hold the clutch in and warm the motor up for about a minute. When you shift into first gear the shift should be close to silent.

What happens is while setting the oil is squeezed from out between the plates. Holding the clutch open and idling for a while will get oil back between the plates.

This is a tip that I learned in the 60's. Works on all cycles.

After the bike is hot it will not work as well as the hot oil is squeezed out quicker. When the bikes gets past several thousand miles, the clunking will fade over time due to everything wearing in.
Uhh, I don't put any oil in there, on either the pan, or the shovel. It "F"s up the BELT !!!!

Originally Posted by chuckw2
Love the sound of a Harley trans! Also the sound of the old style clutch that rattles when disengaged-that's pure music!
Originally Posted by Joe Diver
My clutch rattle has been louder lately....pull in the clutch and in a couple seconds it spins down and goes quiet...let out the clutch and it rattles....pull in and it goes away....let out and it rattles......and I can hear it (barely) motoring down the road. Knew about the clunk but not the rattle.

Clunk seems more pronounced now as well, but the bike does not pull at all when sitting still in gear. If I drop it down to first....clunk....neutral, let out the clutch, pull it back, wait a couple seconds and drop first again, no clunk.

Just rolled over 26k......

Uhh, Joe, the 3 and 5 stud clutches(pans, shovels) "rattle" when DISENGAGED(think plates rattling together), not engaged. IF your's is "rattling" when you let the clutch lever OUT, Please CHECK IT OUT !!!!! OR if you jus' posted "backwards", no prob.

OP, IF it duzzint "clunk", get rid of it, it's a Jap clone/wannabe!!!!!!!! .

Old 07-26-2010, 12:30 PM
lfmn16
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by erickernz
i have a 2010 sportster iron, when i engage clutch and place in first gear she clicks(almost bags pretty loud).. is this normal? also when i shift to anygear she does.. thanks eric
I've had that on every Harley I've ever owned or ridden. I had an Ultra that did that at 45,000 miles, right up until it was taken out by a day-dreaming pickup.

Relax and ride.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Gumpmeister
Uhh, Joe, the 3 and 5 stud clutches(pans, shovels) "rattle" when DISENGAGED(think plates rattling together), not engaged. IF your's is "rattling" when you let the clutch lever OUT, Please CHECK IT OUT !!!!! OR if you jus' posted "backwards", no prob.
Nope...mine has a rattle when it's out...pull it in and in a couple seconds it quiets down....let it out and I can hear it rattle....so, lever in, no rattle...lever out....rattle.

I'm going to go out and pull the derby cover, take a looksie and do the free play adjustment procedure. I put Redline synthetic in it at 20k so I'm going to dump it and put the Formula+ back in. If, after this I still get the rattle I'll take her to the shop.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:05 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,036 Likes on 774 Posts

I'd rather hear that satisfying sound than have to look at some idiot light to tell me I'm in gear.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
Rick-e
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the clunk!

Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 PM
chuckw2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
My clutch rattle has been louder lately....pull in the clutch and in a couple seconds it spins down and goes quiet...let out the clutch and it rattles....pull in and it goes away....let out and it rattles......and I can hear it (barely) motoring down the road. Knew about the clunk but not the rattle.......
to reiterate what Gump said above-you SHOULD NOT hear a rattle with your clutch. This is only on the old ones. You need to have that checked!

sorry-was writing this the same time you were replying to Gump!

Quick Reply: loud click when shifting gears