Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

El Monte, California

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:36 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default El Monte, California

I live in Mexico, and have a 15 year old son who wants to go to school in the states. My ex-wife's sister who lives in El Monte, Ca. has offered to let him live with her and go to school there. Can anyone tell me about the schools there and if it's a good place to live. Thanks for your help.....Tom

Old 07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Talk about an off topic question. I'm sure there are several riders on this forum that are still in school and would answer your question if they could read and write.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:51 PM
Eyeball Kid
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
Talk about an off topic question.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

El Monte is primarily a city of Hispanics, if that makes any difference. It would be Los Angeles Schools. Unfortunately, gang culture seems to rule throughout Los Angeles County. That really affects the quality of education there.

Might be some better than Mexican schools, but I wouldn't know that. Hope this helps.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:18 PM
phat96
Road Warrior

Check out the Junior colleges first then have move into a university, come over and check out the locations of the schools, then decide is he going to get there on public transit or is someone going to drop him off and pick him up?
My cousin graduated from the university of Mexico with a computer degree and it served him well here in AZ. I also have a lot of family living in Mex and they have degrees in Engineering, Medicine, biology etc. Let him know it's what he gets as in education not where he gets his education to be successful in life.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just what we need how is he getting over here hopping fence or coming in a trunk. we don`t need anymore illigals, why don`t you guys do something about your own country that gives good education

Old 07-25-2010, 11:13 PM
mentor70
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have taken ASE tests at El Monte high school, it kinda sucks. it is the only school i have been to in my area that is basically a prison, the school goes into full lock down when the bell rings! chain link fences and bars everywhere! LIKE nothing ive ever seen before

in my area it is alot different, and all the high schools ive traveled to in a 20 mile radius or so none are like El Monte

the Walnut school district around me is far superior.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:41 PM
tombeving
Road Master

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
just what we need how is he getting over here hopping fence or coming in a trunk. we don`t need anymore illigals, why don`t you guys do something about your own country that gives good education
My son is an American Citizen as am I. He was born in Pa. to an American father and a Mexican mother (who by the way was in the country legally). You got to love people who spout off without knowing all the facts.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:58 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by tombeving
I live in Mexico, and have a 15 year old son who wants to go to school in the states. My ex-wife's sister who lives in El Monte, Ca. has offered to let him live with her and go to school there. Can anyone tell me about the schools there and if it's a good place to live. Thanks for your help.....Tom
I went to Arroyo High in El Monte back in the '70s... Racial division was plainly evident back then... I can't imagine what it is like now... I rather doubt that given a choice I would send my kids there...

Just my 2¢

As to El Monte being a good place to live.... Depends on what you want out of life... I left Southern California in '79 and never looked back... Well, thats not true, I went back in '83. Got there on a Wed. had a job lined up by Fri. to begin on Monday... I was on the road back to Northern CA Sunday night... Could not deal with traffic and stop lights anymore...

Last edited by 2002flstc; 07-26-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:04 PM
edilgdaor
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,519 Likes on 3,843 Posts

California schools are about the worst schools in the US (Ranked 49th, I think). Sounds like El Monte isn't one of the better of the worst schools. Might wanna try somewhere else besides California.

Quick Reply: El Monte, California