Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

El Monte, California

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tombeving
My son is an American Citizen as am I. He was born in Pa. to an American father and a Mexican mother (who by the way was in the country legally). You got to love people who spout off without knowing all the facts.
Then you should have provided all of the facts. Me personally had the same knee jerk reaction and I have no apologies. I am sick of having to pay for someone else problems and responsibilites. That is reality like it or not.

To your question if your son is a good kid no way would I send him to El Monte. The only HIgh schools I would trust are the Catholic ones, Cantwell-Sacred Heart, Amat, St Paul.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Denny69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schools are better where you're at. If you care about your son, keep him with you.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think El Monte schools are very well rated. I am sure your son speaks fluent Spanish which would help but the LAUSD has a lot of problems. As a previous poster mentioned there are quite few good private schools close by. I grew up in East LA and it ain't pretty.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:47 PM
bikercrap
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a native Southern Californian, but not from El Monte. As the post a few up stated, California is in the toilet when it comes to our own schools report card (thank you Liberal Ccalifornia's) but I have had success with 2 kids in the Riverside area shool system, it's school dependent I think. One the plus side, I think California will soon be scoring there own shools (or already might be) and if they get a failing grade, they will turn over the school to the private sector (charter school) which should bring much improvement. On an unrelated topic, I think El MOnte has the highest tax rate in the NATION, pushing over 13% right now. Not sure what that says about the area, just a fun fact. Good Luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:59 PM
chicanagirl
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 32 Posts

I grew up in EastLos and I hated school. My parents came here as illegals. Call me anchor baby if you want, i don't give a ****. papa did the work available to an undocumented worker, lawn care, landscaping etc. I remember how dirty and sweaty hed be when he came home. Mama did housecleaning jobs, things of that nature.
As for me i joined the Navy, was a navy cook, went to culinary school, am now a sous chef.
I have a much better life than I would have had in Mexico which is what Mama and Papa wanted ofr me.
Nothing wrong with that.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:40 PM
billk
Road Master

Have you considered Arizona? They will take care of him....

Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 PM
SloChicken
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chicanagirl
I grew up in EastLos and I hated school. My parents came here as illegals. Call me anchor baby if you want, i don't give a ****. papa did the work available to an undocumented worker, lawn care, landscaping etc. I remember how dirty and sweaty hed be when he came home. Mama did housecleaning jobs, things of that nature.
As for me i joined the Navy, was a navy cook, went to culinary school, am now a sous chef.
I have a much better life than I would have had in Mexico which is what Mama and Papa wanted ofr me.
Nothing wrong with that.
Actually,
Your parents broke the law when they illegally crossed the border into the US.
While I am empathetic to the situation in Mexico, I feel that Mexico should clean house for themselves and Mexico and their citizens should rise up out of need and make a better situation for themselves in house.

Just as we need to do here.
Just a note, If an American Citizen illegally tries to set up residence in Mexico, they can be charged with illegal entry and jailed.
Ironically, this happens often to persons looking for a better life and illegally entering into Mexico from South American countries.

That said, your parent's illegal entry is not your fault, and you are right, you should not be held accountable for your parents actions.
They should be held accountable tho.

America needs to clean house in a big way. We are leaking at the seams and unfortunately, paying for health care and other social costs that arise from our extensive illegal immigration problem is a burden we just don't need - and cannot afford. I don't know if u have noticed, but the long standing benevolent charity that the United States has been providing to the rest of the world is coming to an end. We are simply in our own bit of economic trouble just now.
We need to feed ourselves first, before feeding the rest of the world.

To that end, and just like a vast majority of the rest of the world, the United States borders need to be regulated and the laws need to be enforced. This includes getting rid of "amnesty statutes" that some citys employ. There is no amnesty. If someone is doing a criminal act, or has done a criminal act, the law enforcement agencies need to be able to enforce those laws. Otherwise what is the point?

What AZ is doing is righteous and is merely a reiteration of federal laws already in place. It is merely an overt statement allowing the jursidictional bodies in the state to enforce the law.

I am American Indian, and an American citizen, I can easily be mistaken for a hispanic, and if stopped I may be asked for my proof of citizenship.

I will gladly comply. I won't feel profiled, and I will be glad to know that we are weeding out criminals that have illegally crossed into our country and end up costing us Billions of dollars every year.

Back on topic,

I would look into private (read Prep school) education for your children no matter where. Specifically a school that is geared toward college prep.
It will help greatly in your child gaining entry to the better universities out there - it still takes participation by the student in the form of excellent grades, aptitude testing and extracurricular (read: benevolent, community, or volunteer) activities.

Best of luck on finding a good school for your son

Out.

Last edited by SloChicken; 07-26-2010 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back on topic.

El Monte has it's good and bad sides but their public schoools as a whole do not rank very high in test results. I would seek an alternative; private school or transfer to a school near where your sister works in a better district perhaps.

Good luck.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:13 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Holy chit how did this post turn into a friggen immigration debate. The man asked about schools in El Monte and nothing more. He doesn't need to or should have to defend whether his son is a citizen or from Venus.

On topic.. El Monte has it's own school district. State average for a rating is 50, their schools rate at 34. 100 being best.

Gangs are very prevalent there with out a doubt. There are better places to live (read safer) but just like "every other city" in the nation they have criminals in all shapes and colors. Would I recommend you sending a 15 yr male to El Monte in this day and age? No.

Actually I had something to say to the dil holes but common sense and self respect won't allow it.

Hope this helps your decision.

Last edited by BBStacker; 07-27-2010 at 01:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:36 PM
SMF
Banned

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
just what we need how is he getting over here hopping fence or coming in a trunk. we don`t need anymore illigals, why don`t you guys do something about your own country that gives good education
Hey bro first off yea my parents were illegals 2nd your welcome for the freedom to be a dumbass yea your welcome did my 7 years serving in the military 4 deployments all to the middle east. Just to refresh my memory how did your people get here cause my people were already here? oh yea you guys were the first FOBS to come (Fresh of the Boat) here. But anywho dont expect much from someone with almost 1200 post and no pics just means you like to be an ******* but dont want people to recognize your bike douche hahahaha

Last edited by SMF; 08-05-2010 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: El Monte, California