General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?

Other than not letting her load up on fluids, before we go? Planning to go about 300-400 miles, sometime next week. More or less have the route planned. Go from Danville Va up HWY 29, then cut over on Route 6/151 to 250, then up Afton mountain to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take the Parkway South-West, not sure how deep into NC we will go, that will depend on how she holds out. My 8yr old loves to ride, but she has only been on 75 mile trips so far. Got my sporty straightened out, paint is fabulous (maybe even worth the nightmare I went through, lmao!). Got speedo working again, even the odo this time.

I am checking fuel runs now, should know tomorrow what I can get out of a tank. Plenty of stops along HWY 29, but I have no idea about the BRP. My Mustang seat is comfortable, well broken in. Can't think of any other bike issues.

Looking for any tips regarding kids on long trips. My 6 year old daughter isn't ready yet, but we still ride local. This will be the longest trip I have been on in a very long time. I know it isn't much to some of you guyz standards, but I have to start somewhere.

Just changed oil, gonna change primary before I go. Everything else seems to be A-OK.

Thanx in advance, Randy D.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:14 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

personally i think your nuts taking your kid on a long trip like that esp on a sporty, but hey be careful

Old 07-25-2010, 12:16 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a most excellent adventure. My only advice would be to take lots of pictures and/or videos of the trip, maybe let her carry a disposable camera so she could take pictues from her perspective during the trip.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:57 AM
Fewe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say most important would be to make sure she has a good time and is comfortable. This could be the first of many Daddy-Daughter trips that you both will remember for a lifetime. Stop often so she can stretch her legs and check to make sure she is staying alert. I have 3 kids and they have all fallen asleep on the back of the Ultra, sometimes 15 minutes into a ride. Not a problem with a huge backrest on the tourpack and my backrest holding them in but would be a major issue on a sporty.

That is a beautiful part of the country and there is no better way to experience it than from the seat of a motorcycle.

Oh yeah... we need pics!!!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Harleyrider_49
Road Master

Originally Posted by RandyDowdy
Other than not letting her load up on fluids, before we go? Planning to go about 300-400 miles, sometime next week. More or less have the route planned. Go from Danville Va up HWY 29, then cut over on Route 6/151 to 250, then up Afton mountain to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Take the Parkway South-West, not sure how deep into NC we will go, that will depend on how she holds out. My 8yr old loves to ride, but she has only been on 75 mile trips so far. Got my sporty straightened out, paint is fabulous (maybe even worth the nightmare I went through, lmao!). Got speedo working again, even the odo this time.

I am checking fuel runs now, should know tomorrow what I can get out of a tank. Plenty of stops along HWY 29, but I have no idea about the BRP. My Mustang seat is comfortable, well broken in. Can't think of any other bike issues.

Looking for any tips regarding kids on long trips. My 6 year old daughter isn't ready yet, but we still ride local. This will be the longest trip I have been on in a very long time. I know it isn't much to some of you guyz standards, but I have to start somewhere.

Just changed oil, gonna change primary before I go. Everything else seems to be A-OK.

Thanx in advance, Randy D.
Hmmmm...... I dunno, dude.......??? You know her tolerance better'n anybody here, but.......big diff. 'tween 75 an' what yer plan'n.....on a Sporty at that.....I'd make sure she tug'd on my shirt alot.....so I'd know she was awake,if I attemp'd that at all......constant feel go'n down the road an' the drone of the bike could put her right ta sleep......slip right off the back........ would definately make for a bad day......ride/be safe.........

Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,339 Likes on 5,486 Posts

Child that age does not care much about the ride it is the time with you cut down the miles and stop and see a lot of things.
To much time in the seat will bore the child

Old 07-25-2010, 08:42 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

All day is a long time for an 8 year old. My advice, because you asked, is to make sure she is wearing the proper gear. A properly fitted FF along with a good jacket, pants and boots. I see people all the time with kids in a half helmet shorts and t shirts. Scares me to death to see it! Have fun, be careful, and protect her every way you can.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,660 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Make sure you stop for some ice cream.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:02 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get her ear plugs. Young ones have sensitive ears and the wind noise will make their ears ring even with a full helmet.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:03 AM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

I have done this before and had a great time, my daughter is 18 now and still talks about the trips we have taken and never misses a chance to go again.

Advice- be prepared to stop more than you normally would, if she is into Ipods or MP3 players, that is a must. Maybe a camera to snap pictures along the way. Most importantly, be patient with her.

Quick Reply: 1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?