General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2010, 11:21 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If she does 400 miles on the back of a Sporster at 8, she is one tuff little girl. Has she ever been in the rain?? My Old lady doesn't like 200 miles in one day anymore on a Bagger lol. Heres a list of gas in the BRP areas. The BRP has real nice facilities They call them "Comfort Stations."
http://www.blueridgeparkway.org/v.php?pg=50

Old 08-22-2010, 11:35 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,648 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Definitely not. That's too far for an 8 year old--if she gets tired, you will either be riding in an unsafe situation, or find yourselves stranded. Also, that is too far for a Sportster even in a solo situation, IMHO.

Old 08-22-2010, 11:50 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Sounds like she's quite a little trooper and probably a biker chick in the making, but there is quite a difference between 75 and 300 miles. Like a few others here, I also think 300 miles is a lot to bite off for such a young kid. Heck, that can be a lot for me under certain circumstances! Then again, you know your own child better than anyone and I am positive none of us cares more about her well-being than you! I'm sure you have a "Plan B" if things start going south for her.

Just want to point out that kids (and smaller people) dehydrate more quickly than adults. Don't just go by how YOU feel. Might not be a bad idea to brush up on the signs of dehydration/heat exhaustion b4 you go (google is your friend!). You REALLY need to make sure she is getting enough fluids...that includes drinks with electrolytes every so often.

All that being said, have a fun and safe trip!
Good points. I plan on stopping once per hour, maybe more. Can take pictures, just walk and stretch, etc.

Originally Posted by Fossil
First off does your 8yr. old daughter have permanently mounted foot pegs to rest her feet on? I don't mean like NoName thinks he has some using strapped on wooden blocks on the regular footpegs. He can easily get a ticket if a cop bothers to. The same with you if your daughter cannot reach the footpegs. Not many states don't require permanent rear footpegs. Also if the bike hs to be altered to fit the kid and the kid does not fit the bike then don't go. Around the block is one thing but a long trip on a bike not designed for comfort is not a good idea for a parent to put his child through. Take her on a trip in a car to some park or amusement park. She will remember that just as much.
She would rather ride than go to anything else. Believe me, she wants to go. We have ridden on 2 hour trips more than once, no issues. Her feet fit the pegs just fine. If she doesn't get to ride, she does get upset. I think she loves it more than I do!
She can reach the pegs just fine. No issues, and she rides daily all over town.

Originally Posted by dickey
Definitely not. That's too far for an 8 year old--if she gets tired, you will either be riding in an unsafe situation, or find yourselves stranded. Also, that is too far for a Sportster even in a solo situation, IMHO.
Why would we be stranded? We will time it when she has had plenty of rest. I don't think getting sleepy will be an issue.

If you think folks can't ride a sporty over a few hours, you have been drinking too much kool-aid. Folks ride them all kinds of places. We have a mustang seat, it is plenty comfortable. Even my 6 year old rides daily, but she hasn't been over an hour ride yet. Tonight, we rode for about 30 minutes, and she begged me not to turn for home. Said she didn't care where we went, just keep ridiing. If it rains, my body will keep it off of her. Will have to time the ride around the weather forecast, which should be no problem for a 5 or 6 hour trip. Don't see that being an issue at all.

We haven't gone on the trip yet. I am still unemployed, and the front tire on the bike is terrible. Slick, dryrotted, I am putting one on it tomorrow hopefully. Then have to get the taillight straightened out (see my sig), before going out of town.

Should be next week. I sure hope so, anyway.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,607 Likes on 3,879 Posts

I'm curious about the 400 mile ride. Is that a goal ? A place you have to be ?

Why not just go for an all-day ride ?

Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by edilgdaor
I'm curious about the 400 mile ride. Is that a goal ? A place you have to be ?

Why not just go for an all-day ride ?
I have a route planned, with a destination. If she gets tired, I have a shortcut home that will cut the ride in half, very easily.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Wingnut51
Tourer

I think 400 miles is overly ambitious for an 8 year old. The worst thing is you travel 200 miles and suddenly she's had enough and wants to go home "RIGHT NOW!" but you're 200 miles away from home. I think it's a great idea to take her on rides like that but you may want to think about cutting back just a little or stay real close to home.

Last edited by Wingnut51; 08-23-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:28 AM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

As stated before, just make sure the road doesn't put her to sleep. My Grandkids have all ridden on long rides starting at the age of 7 (for long rides). Not a big deal if on the Ultra as yhey are pretty much locked in. But the Road King or my son's Dyna, a different story. We will bungy them in on all of them but on the RK and Dyna we also make them tck their hands in our belt. Gives us a feel of what is happening.

Have fun but be safe. Stop when possible to give them a break. Not just when you have to. This will be remembered for the rest of their lives. My kids are all grown and most ride their own now but all of them remember the rides togeather when they were young.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:34 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wingnut51
I think 400 miles is overly ambitious for an 8 year old. The worst thing is you travel 200 miles and suddenly she's had enough and wants to go home "RIGHT NOW!" but you're 200 miles away from home. I think it's a great idea to take her on rides like that but you may want to think about cutting back just a little or stay real close to home.

Read post 55. We will never be 200 miles from home. The trip planned is a loop, go North, then catch the parkway, then come South. If she shows signs of tiring, we can cut the trip in half and cut across East.

Can't believe this thread is still going, lol.

Old 08-23-2010, 12:20 PM
SOLOLUCKY
Cruiser

Belt around both of ya...i did that with my son when he was younger...the "falling off" concern.. They do fall asleep...My E-Glide I feel "kinda" safe compared to my Vulcan with no tourpack arm rests to hold him in (somewhat).
Take lots breaks....etc. ...I agree with all that was said before but to be hoonest 3-400 miles is a lot for an adult...much less a sleeping 8 yr old..the sleeping is easy on her...nerve racking for you (a least for me it was, not sure if he could slip sideways and off at highway speeds. He is 8 bnow and I still wouldnt push that kinda mileage on him...Thats just me and mine...only say it cuz you asked advice...be careful and hope she and you have a great time .

Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey RandyDowdy, I think the ride is a great idea, and the fact that you have planned out a secondary route to cut it short is wise. You're the only one who should judge whether she can handle the ride, we don't know her.

I have a 4 yr old son that most on here think I'm crazy for taking on rides, but then again, they don't know him. He's taller, stronger and heavier than most 6 yr olds and has a great understanding of the seriousness of the ride. Of course, his rides are still only about 4-5 miles to his grandmother's house and back on back roads.

One thing I did that helped him out is to get one of these: http://pitposse.com/ourapabeha.html

It's a passenger belt which provides hand holds instead of strapping the child to you. This way, they can hold on securely without having to constantly wrap their arms around you or try to find a hand hold in your clothing.