General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:47 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Make sure she drinks plenty of fluids, summer heat isn't the time to worry about how many stops you have to make. Maybe have an idea for some alternate routes if you need to shorten the trip.
Camera is a great idea, also have her keep a log book, maybe draw some pictures when you stop. Have fun.
Good point, there are plenty of places to stop for breaks. Even after the 75 mile trips, she is still wide open. I think she is ready. Just the damn heat is so bad, I might wait til it is at the most in the 80's. This 100 degree heat is brutal on me, so I know it is on her.

Thanx for the advice. I sure hope this works for us, she wants to go for a long trip. After the 75 milers, she always says "Daddy, do we have to go home now? Just a little longer!" constantly.

I'll keep the thread updated.

RD

Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
bear68
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Camera idea is great, but make sure it has a strap of some sort. She would feel horrible if it got dropped at speed and lost all the pics and memories she had collected. Logbook is another excellant idea. Imagine when school starts back up and she gets to carry that logbook and pics in to show off the incredible adventure she and her Daddy went on.

Damn, Man! Ya got me jealous..... This is exactly the kind of bonding that will help make both yer lives 100% better every day.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:12 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bear68
Camera idea is great, but make sure it has a strap of some sort. She would feel horrible if it got dropped at speed and lost all the pics and memories she had collected. Logbook is another excellant idea. Imagine when school starts back up and she gets to carry that logbook and pics in to show off the incredible adventure she and her Daddy went on.

Damn, Man! Ya got me jealous..... This is exactly the kind of bonding that will help make both yer lives 100% better every day.
I agree with you. I do have saddle bags, and will keep enough clothes for different times of the day, as well as the camera. It is 100 degrees right now, and she wants to ride. She hopped on that red hot seat a little while ago, (after I warned her not to!), "Daddy, its not hot! Can't we go today?" So I took her to Grandmas on the bike.

It don't get no better than this. If it did, I couldn't handle it!

Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

I have to agree on the thought of that young a child on that long of a ride. I think you should envision the picture of her in your mind lying in your arms lifeless after she fell asleep tumbled off and got run over by that tailgater behind you. Then change your plans to a more suitable ride for her age. This is what I do with my 6 year old on my bike. She has a jacket and I took it off hoping to show her harness better but her shirt is black also! I do wish you both well, I'm a dad too. Noname

Last edited by noname; 07-25-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:38 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by noname
I have to agree on the thought of that young a child on that long of a ride. I think you should envision the picture of her in your mind lying in your arms lifeless after she fell asleep tumbled off and got run over by that tailgater behind you. Then change your plans to a more suitable ride for her age. This is what I do with my 6 year old on my bike. She has a jacket and I took it off hoping to show her harness better but her shirt is black also! Noname

Noname If I felt like that, I would never allow her to ride with me again, even to the corner store. She is tall for her age, and she holds on well. I am not going to speed, just ride comfortably.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:57 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,762 Likes on 2,333 Posts

That was a bit graphic.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:00 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,762 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Even though I am a worry-wart, I am jealous. It's something of thought about doing with my kids but, I don't know if they are ready for the open road. I'll try slowly weaning them into it. Maybe it'll mean more seat time for me instead of just going around the neighborhood never getting out of second gear.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:53 PM
MB-WideGlide
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good for you Bro ,I wish my daughter was still here to go for a ride with me
I hope you and you girl have the best of time
Don't forget the pics
Kev

Old 07-25-2010, 07:02 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Get a back rest if you don't have one. It'll make it a bit more safe and comfortable for both of you.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 PM
ga guy
Cruiser

Don't do it, don't endanger life of your kid.

Quick Reply: 1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?