General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:07 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you know she can handle 75mile trips right now so i would recomend stopping for a break every 75 miles or so, so she can stretch her legs have a snack and take some pics etc. it might make the day longer or less miles covered but will be easier on her and that in turn makes it easier on you.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:14 AM
rangehopper
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stop often, get off the bike and walk around. Make sure she does not fall asleep and fall off the bike. Make sure she has a lot of fun. Safety first, then fun, makes for a long life time of happy memories.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 AM
vondoom88
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I take my daughter out on ride this is my main things I keep in mind.

1. Make sure she is dressed appropriately ie Helmet and boots.

2. Make sure its fun for her, this is more about her than you.

3. Ride safe and have fun.

My advice would be stop anywhere that looks cool, like state parks and anywhere interesting. Not sure where your from but I have taken my daughter on some pretty long rides. Think about places to stop and take a breather and get a drink stretch the legs. I've taken mine to a lock and dam on the Mississippi where they let the barges through it was interesting for her to see plus it was a nice break took about 20-30 min to get the barge through. State parks where you can see some wildlife and such. There are some areas where you can see bald eagles along the Mississippi she thought that was cool too.

Having a Ipod and a camera is a great addition to the trip. Make sure shes doing okay,comfortable because if she doesn't have fun it's going to ruin her experience. Like I said its more about her than you. I'll ride til my a$$ hurts and then go some more only stopping for gas allot of times but when my little buddy is with me I stop usually twice a tank of gas or about every 75-100 miles depending on how shes doing.

I let her call the shots more or less with the stops and stop for some ice cream.
I took her out one fall on a school night and only went about 80 mile round trip went to a park that had a lake and talked a bit and stopped at a DQ on the way home. wasn't a long ride but she still talks about it and that was 2 years ago I think.

Have fun and be safe!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:47 AM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanx guyz. I make her hold on to me real tight, and I can tell when she starts to lose her grip, then I know she's getting sleepy. I don't think that will be an issue.
Great ideas about the camera. There are lots of scenic outlooks along the way, we will stop every 50 miles or so for bathroom or stretch breaks.

This should be a good experience for both of us. Will probably do it around the middle of the week, depending on the weather. Right now there is a good chance of rain, so we might have to put it off for a few days. We need the rain, so no complaints here.

Thanx again for the advice. I want this to be a lot of fun for her, as well as myself.

RD

Old 07-25-2010, 09:52 AM
roofer
Road Master

I think she is to young for a big ride like that, thats my .02 cents

Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 AM
drifter27011
Tourer

Put a Tie down strap around her and you, will help keep her in the seat.
Make sure she is having fun.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

How about you let her plan the trip? Sit down at the table with a map and see if you can find some place that would be fun for her. Riding on the bike will be fun but I don't know if an 8 year old is going to be all that interested in just scenery. Is there a zoo or amusement park or maybe even a large mall where she can buy something to remind her of the trip with dad? I'd do my best to make it "her" day and try to imagine yourself on the back seat for 300 miles. She might be small but her backside will get pretty tired on an uncomfortable seat the same as yours would. Also, she's likely to get pretty tired in the afternoon and will be prone to falling asleep. Keep her safe dad!

Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Make sure she drinks plenty of fluids, summer heat isn't the time to worry about how many stops you have to make. Maybe have an idea for some alternate routes if you need to shorten the trip.
Camera is a great idea, also have her keep a log book, maybe draw some pictures when you stop. Have fun.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:00 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Make sure she drinks plenty of fluids, summer heat isn't the time to worry about how many stops you have to make. Maybe have an idea for some alternate routes if you need to shorten the trip.
Camera is a great idea, also have her keep a log book, maybe draw some pictures when you stop. Have fun.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM
DGDeuce
Club Member
Received 5,762 Likes on 2,333 Posts

Sounds fun and the camera idea is cool. My kids are 7 1/2 and I feel like they would blow right off. I've only taken them in the neighborhood where we go slow. I guess I could try some longer rides on secondary roads only. Maybe I worry too much. Be safe.

Quick Reply: 1st daytrip with my 8yr old daughter, any advice?