General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vancouver next city to ban loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 05:50 PM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 380 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Vancouver next city to ban loud pipes

Last week there was a city councillor on the radio saying that now that the weather has warmed up the #1 complaint the city is receiving is about loud motorcycles. There is currently a bylaw that everyone knows is unenforceable, so they don't. But they will be looking at what Edmonton did and introducing the same law here. Edmonton uses the J2825 test. He said that they will be making the fine large enough that people will think twice about deciding the law doesn't apply to them.

If you like loud pipes, bring your cheque book.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:24 PM
patski
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a load of crap! I hope this doesn't come to T.O.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:09 PM
Topspin
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They should ban the Starbucks on 3 of every 4 street corners in Vancouver. Wussies.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:03 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man i thought you meant vancouver wa, canada really seems to be out to get motorcycles everytime i sign on its about canada i1m staying away from there just go up there in car

Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just stay away from the cities that have there own Police forces....they seem to be the worst...the RCMP jurisdictions are fine....so far!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:04 AM
Northern Cowboy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The cities are doing this for revenue generation. The system they wanted to use in Calgary was the same as photo radar, but with the ability to measure noise - then take a picture - then send you a bill in the mail.

It if was truly about noise levels they would do a lot more work before arriving at a decision.

At least that is what I think.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:23 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As an eyewitness daily to Vancouver traffic, I believe there are a lot more serious issues that the cops and courts should be dealing with before spending time and resources on motorcycle riders (note: not JUST Harleys that can be loud!)
There are MANY drivers here that appear to have got their licence from a Cracker Jack box. Their driving habits are extremely poor, and a threat to human life, not just human hearing.
Yes, there are some bikes that may be too loud. But you know this is gonna become another 'TAX' on the working man who is just trying to have some fun.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:39 AM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if this law passes, I've got a set of almost new stock pipes for an Ultra Classic I can sell someone in Vancouver...

Old 07-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's ridiculous. why don't they do away with the crime, drugs, and the horrible smell first? Good lord I used to live out there, and Vancouver always looked like the city in Bladerunner.

I'd be careful, though - the cops out there routinely taser people to death, and if you're handicapped they'll kick the living s**t out of you, also, because you can't get away quickly.

Cannon

Old 07-25-2010, 08:09 AM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny Cannon
That's ridiculous. why don't they do away with the crime, drugs, and the horrible smell first? Good lord I used to live out there, and Vancouver always looked like the city in Bladerunner.

I'd be careful, though - the cops out there routinely taser people to death, and if you're handicapped they'll kick the living s**t out of you, also, because you can't get away quickly.

Cannon
Hey!!! They've had an 11% reduction in these types of events in the past 3 months, so things are improving!

Quick Reply: Vancouver next city to ban loud pipes