General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vancouver next city to ban loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

amen on the friggin diesel trks i have two in my neiborhood, as a matter of fact one of them came over to my house and said my bike was annoying, i told him i would push my bike out of the neihborhood if he would do the same, he left in a huffy,

Old 07-25-2010, 03:17 PM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaster
You can read it here http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...670/story.html
1066 bikes tested. Mostly with non stock exhaust and 40% failed. That means 60% of "mostly non stock" exhaust passed. I'm not saying either way if I agree with this. I just posted what I heard and read on the net. I do believe reading some of the replies here that some riders are going to have a rough go of this because this is coming to where ever they live. Maybe not now, but it is coming.
I would be vary wary of those numbers, because it's not what I've heard from people that were there. Including some info from officers that were doing some "informal" testing before this test day.

This is one thing, politics plain and simple. The idiots city council wanted to look liek thye are "doing something" so they went after the smallest group they could. End of story.

And where are they running these "enforcement checks"? Weekend afternoons on Whyte ave, when any noise should be pretty much at the least annoying time of day... and when they can of course make the most money

Old 07-25-2010, 04:16 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully the police in these and other towns use the loud pipe laws to target the worst offenders and not those of us who want louder than stock but not ear splitting and obnoxiously loud pipes.

We have a historic town (New Hope PA) near me with outdoor cafes all along the street. Bikers with open pipes will go through the town or sit at the curb rapping their throttles so loud you can't even carry on a conversation with someone sitting next to you.

Town got tired of it and passed an ordinance. Now the cops pull you over and check you with a decibel meter. Nice little town but I avoid it like the plague now. Got tired of worrying about getting a $500 ticket.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

I really think this is going to be the norm in Canada in the next few years unless the Edmonton experiment is stopped in the courts. It's extremely important that everybody who gets a noise ticket in Edmonton fights it, even if they're going to lose. As soon as they realize the court costs are higher than the ticket revenue, they're going to back off.

One of their favorite places to set up checkstops is beside Scona Honda. It's a couple of blocks from my home, and I sat and watched for about half an hour last week. They are incredibly inconsistent with their testing, and they are pulling over every Harley they see, and maybe half the metrics and sport bikes. They measure about half the bikes parked alongside a 14" curb, beside bushes. The RPM gauges they use are inconsistent, and when they aren't testing they're bitching at each other about the crappy equipment. I think the cop leading the charge thinks he's saving the world, but the rest of them don't seem too happy with the task.

I know that this bylaw has been hard on the independent shops. The Harley shops have been doing great re-installing stock pipes. The indys have seen a sharp drop in business. Their focus has become trying to figure out how to baffle aftermarket pipes so they will pass.

Oh, and pretty much all Harleys can fail. Stock bikes fail regularly, SE slip-ons fail almost every time, and if you have any aftermarket pipes, you're going to fail. You may pass one day, and fail the next.

One of my favorite incidents so far was the guy who got caught heading east on Whyte ave. (On the east side of Mill Creek Bridge). He decides to head back home, turns around and they get him on the west side of the bridge. He passed on the west side, but when he told them he just got a ticket on the other side, the top noise cop (You can tell who he is, he always wears a funny hat) re-tested half a dozen times until he failed again. Luckily he didn't get another ticket, but under the bylaw he could have. More than one person has been ticketed multiple times within a couple of days.

It's a BS law, and has seriously harmed the industry and taken a lot of the joy out of riding. I'm constantly aware of the issue, and in order to ride out of my neighbourhood without hitting a checkstop. My wife has almost stopped riding for fear of getting another ticket.

In a couple of weeks, my wife and I will be in court fighting our tickets.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:08 PM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

The only problem is 99.9% of those who've received or will receive tickets will just pay them.
They'll all give the standard excuse of it's cheaper then taking time off, I forgot, or I'll be in camp working blah blah blah.... and that's exactly what the City is banking on.
That's why I don't believe it's going to go away, not until I hear of a successful defense that's going to work for everyone all the time.
The City will drop the bylaw only when they find that they can't get a conviction on a challenge, but if no one or even just a handful of those cited shows up in court then the City has nothing to worry about.
One thing I do know is, if they manage to catch up with me I will be in court regardless of if I can win or not.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:17 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by patski
What a load of crap! I hope this doesn't come to T.O.
there's enough ******* in this city to get anything banned ......

Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Just pull your handguns on anyone who questions your loud pipes. Oh wait....nevermind.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:22 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by schwangster
".
Again, I think the traffic cops could spend their time more wisely making sure the 'new Canadians' actually possess the driving skills that the licence they 'purchased' says they possess. Those drivers are killing people!
10-4 to that...we have the bulk of these "new cdns" ending up right here....some areas you'd swear it was downtown hongkong..or even frikn bagdad..

Old 07-26-2010, 03:43 PM
schwangster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sonoffatboy
10-4 to that...we have the bulk of these "new cdns" ending up right here....some areas you'd swear it was downtown hongkong..or even frikn bagdad..
just wondering if they will pull over any of the turban wearing riders for loud pipes?
(and no, I don't care if they don't wear a helmet, as long as I don't HAVE to if I don't want to)

Old 07-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Ramona
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sonoffatboy
there's enough ******* in this city to get anything banned ......

******* in the 'center of the universe'........who would've thought?......

Quick Reply: Vancouver next city to ban loud pipes