General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vancouver next city to ban loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:20 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

I am somewhere in the middle on this loud pipes controversy. I am long past the punk *** kid stage, but back in the 60's I was leading the pack. If it wasn't loud enough to **** somebody off, I didn't ride it. There weren't many Harleys being riden by young men back in the 60's, mainly rice burning two strokes and quite a bit of British iron. I rode both. The first thing we did was pull the entire muffler off and run them "straight". When your young and full of whiz and vinegar you tend to equate noise with horsepower. In other words the lounder you were the more horsepower you were generating. Now, most of us know that just aint the way it is. Exhaust systems have to be tuned to make maximum horsepower. OK, having said all that crap I would venture a guess that at least 75% of us take off our stock pipes withing 6 months of buying a bike and install some kind of slip-on muffler. We don't put new slip-ons on the bike because they are quieter, we do so because they make more noise. Apparently that "noise" is music to our ears. In truth, most of the new slip-ons are not that loud as to be objectionable to most people. We are just looking for more rumble, so to speak. Most of us are not making so much noise that we are making anybody mad. But, and there is always a but...there are a few of us that just never got the memo. The guy that goes past my house every Monday-Friday at 4:30 am with the softail and drag pipes is either deaf or doesn't give a rats *** about his neighbors. That sob is going down if I have to stretch a spool of piano wire between the telephone poles on our street. That is the guy these new noise laws are gunning for, as well they should.

Last edited by Retrop; 07-25-2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
That is the guy these new noise laws are gunning for, as well they should.
Agreed. The test means your bike must be at or below 92 db at idle. And at or below 96 db at 2000 rpm for a v-twin. Still lots of room to personalize your bike. You can find the specs here

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/713/38...ound-Test.aspx

Old 07-25-2010, 08:56 AM
MilesJ
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaster
Agreed. The test means your bike must be at or below 92 db at idle. And at or below 96 db at 2000 rpm for a v-twin. Still lots of room to personalize your bike. You can find the specs here

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/713/38...ound-Test.aspx

Bullshit!!!! There is no room to do anything at those specs! Over here i've seen it with my own two eyes. Wait till they are doing it in your town then tell me how much room there is. You can't even run a decent set of aftermarket slip ons at that rate.

I was told by people that I would trust not to exaggerate, that when they did the "free check" weekend here, guys with stock Harleys were not passing one of the two tests

Old 07-25-2010, 09:22 AM
RoadWhipper
Advanced

The proposed bylaw was dumped here in Calgary- although they are going to "review" - means they'll try to bring it in after the next election, if any of them are still there. The city council knew they'd never get the bylaw people to enforce these tickets, in a city where it's against the law to wash your bike in your driveway....(sigh)

I'll be in Edmonton for the HOG rally in August, and if I get a ticket I'll let you in on the details...although I ride pretty sedately!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:39 AM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

"The guy that goes past my house every Monday-Friday at 4:30 am with the softail and drag pipes is either deaf or doesn't give a rats *** about his neighbors. That sob is going down if I have to stretch a spool of piano wire between the telephone poles on our street. That is the guy these new noise laws are gunning for, as well they should."
I take offence at this comment. A good friend was killed while dirt biking in Vernon a few years ago because of some SOB strung wire across a public road to stop noisy dirt bikers. Not a pleasant death! Not a funny comment!!! Especially coming from a 'biker'

I believe the 4:30 am noise makers could be dealt with under existing noise by-laws without creating new laws. Any new law targeting a small group is doomed to failure. It will have to be applied to ALL motor vehicles, trucks and cars included.
Again, I think the traffic cops could spend their time more wisely making sure the 'new Canadians' actually possess the driving skills that the licence they 'purchased' says they possess. Those drivers are killing people!

Old 07-25-2010, 09:57 AM
RoadWhipper
Advanced

Originally Posted by schwangster
Again, I think the traffic cops could spend their time more wisely making sure the 'new Canadians' actually possess the driving skills that the licence they 'purchased' says they possess. Those drivers are killing people!
Well said Brother!
Besides your great taste in beer there are so many bad drivers here in Canada I can't count their stupidity rate when I ride to work every day! I remember reading about a sting in Van where people that couln't drive at all or read english signs were buying driving licences...I've ridden in Richmond BC and I think they just give you a licence when you move there!

I also want to comment on the dealerships here in Calgary that are selling cars with no turn signals installed....or manybe it just seems that way!

Old 07-25-2010, 10:05 AM
PoCoBob
Road Master
Received 392 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by MilesJ
I was told by people that I would trust not to exaggerate, that when they did the "free check" weekend here, guys with stock Harleys were not passing one of the two tests
You can read it here http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...670/story.html
1066 bikes tested. Mostly with non stock exhaust and 40% failed. That means 60% of "mostly non stock" exhaust passed. I'm not saying either way if I agree with this. I just posted what I heard and read on the net. I do believe reading some of the replies here that some riders are going to have a rough go of this because this is coming to where ever they live. Maybe not now, but it is coming.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 AM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

My exhaust is not much louder than stock.
But I don't want to be a target just because I ride a Harley

Old 07-25-2010, 11:05 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sirens are louder and more disrupting the motorcycle exhuast to me. they should ban all sirens., also baby's crying disturbs me they should fine all parents whos baby's cry, buses are way too loud they should ban all loud buses cause they disturb me, french annoy's me worse then babies crying they should fine all french speakers.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:20 AM
schwangster
Seasoned HDF Member

My neighbour's diesel Dodge, my other neighbour's diesel Peugot!
Worst of all is the 2 clowns in the neighbourhood whose car alarms go off at least twice a night.
When are the noise police going to crack down on unnecessary car alarms?

Quick Reply: Vancouver next city to ban loud pipes