General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My motorcycle is NOT a toy

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 03:24 PM
FLHXterp
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
Using the term "toy" to describe anything to me sounds like that item is insignificant and dispensable. Not trying to be all high and mighty, but my Harley-Davidson is neither.
Sorry man, I almost avoided saying anything but...

Yes it is.

In the grand scheme of life, your bike (and mine for that matter) fits both of those categories.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:29 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
Thanks for the responses. Wasn't tryin' to get into a sword fight with anyone, just wanted to see how most people on this message board felt. I got my answer. I guess I'm in minority.

Using the term "toy" to describe anything to me sounds like that item is insignificant and dispensable. Not trying to be all high and mighty, but my Harley-Davidson is neither.
Sure you are, but that's ok. Your opinion is your opinion. Is my bike a toy? Doesn't really matter does it? How many miles do I ride a year? Again, it doesn't really matter. More miles, less miles, more chrome, less chrome, stock, mods, $ spent, $ saved, etc. None of it matters. It's mine/yours to call/do with what you please. Ride on.

Old 07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm ok with it being a toy. Its just a figure of speach. Mine is not a necessity, therefore a big boy toy.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Ultra GI
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine could be called a toy, since I also have a 09 Mazda 6, like to stick with American made items. Uh and yes it was built in Dearborne, Michigan. Yet now days I tend to think of it more as therapy for me. I am not near as angry at everyone else on the road, nor near as in a hurry to get anywhere either. My therapist can even tell you the days I ride to the appointments or take my car. At least with the bike I have the choice to split a lane when one of those left lane morons decides you are not going to pass on the right and speeds up to match your speed and try to block you with slower traffic is the left lane. In the car I just take the lane, it is up to them if they want to trade paint. The bike I just split the lane and move on.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

How do you feel about me referring to mine as my "scooter".
Is that more degrading than calling it a toy.
Some of my friends think so!
But they don't ride anymore so they don't get a vote!
Nah nah nah nah naaaah Naaaah!
Fifty and going strong!
Can't take that away from me! Lol

aka Bob