General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My motorcycle is NOT a toy

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 01:06 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fleabite
Sorry, but that one gets under my skin. People that refer to their Harleys as "toys".

With all this recent talk on here about excuses why people don't ride much, or that the bike is just motorcycle or a toy, got me thinking. I don't think of my bike (or the other ones I've owned in the past) as a toy. Besides, wouldn't that insinuate then that the owner's a child?
Why would you be offended about such a thing. Adults have toys .. OF COURSE THEY DO! Toys are utilized throughout all walks of life, and at any age. There's nothing juvenille about it.

Some adult toys are certainly not 'meant for children' at all. A motorcycle is something a person can enjoy and utilitized for a passtime. It's play time .. because it is mostly used for 'fun' .. EMPHASIS ON FUN!

The people you find making excuses may not be as serious or avid riders as others. So be it. Lots of people are very passionate about riding .. and some just are not. So be it.

Lighten up, my boy .. Just enjoy it to the level that suits you!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:07 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

My first motorcycle was probably a toy. ............The last 14 have not been such.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM
JimmySGC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines definitely a toy, and I keep sinking more and more money into it!! I also consider my Charger SRT8 a toy as well, 3 years old and it barely has 12,000 miles on it. Should be worth a lot on trade in. Matter of fact at this rate I'll have more miles on my bike than I will my car. I have a work truck, it's the one I consider a vehicle, the others are just for fun. If your bike isn't for fun then why have it? I'm just glad that everyone in this world doesn't think the same, would get kinda boring huh...

Old 07-24-2010, 01:14 PM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

TOY'S break and you toss them in the **** can. HARLEYS break and we spend hundreds even thousands of dollars fixing them. so no my bike is not a toy.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:35 PM
FXSTS93
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Rose by any oyther name...

I understand this - both sides.
I've been riding MCs for over 25 years.
I take'em apart - customize them and ride in everything but snow.
I tend to "prefer" real riders (you make your own definition), and have been surprised when people have been shocked that I would ride in the rain, bad weather, etc just because they thought my bike was too "pretty" to be out except in perfect weather.
Anyway - I think to call someone else's bike a toy is wrong - however, I love riding, be it to work, an errand or just to waste gas riding around - that sounds like a definition of TOY; "a device regarded as providing amusement" But to each his/her own.

On the other side - damn expensive no matter what you call them - and worth every penny!!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:45 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

It's the most fun toy I've ever had in 60 years.

I DON'T WANNA GROW UP!!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:53 PM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

OK, adult toys then

Old 07-24-2010, 02:07 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

fleabite may be reacting to the disdainful use of the word "toy". He probably feels he has to defend owning a motorcycle, just because there is no way to really justify having one.

All I know is that life has always been so much better for me when I have one. It isn't essential to survival, but it sure is essential to achieve fulfillment in life. Show me a man or woman who doesn't want something he/she can truly enjoy spending time with, be it motorcycle, r/c airplanes, boats, whatever, and I'll show you a man or woman who is dead.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:18 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildon883R
My wife always complains that my toys are so expensive LOL..
Well tell her in a way she is lucky...

At least you decided to go with the lowest priced model that Harley offers (883 Sportster)....

That's a lot less painful than plunking down $17,000+ for one of the other models.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
semiret
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is definitely a toy - maybe more like a guilty pleasure.

This is my first motorcycle, and I enjoy riding it enormously. However, I survived 58 years just fine without it and if I could no longer ride, I could continue to live my life with no major disruption.

Last edited by semiret; 07-24-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: fat finger typo

Quick Reply: My motorcycle is NOT a toy