General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My baby left me stranded

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 03:53 AM
dmftoy1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My baby left me stranded

First time I've EVER been stranded by a bike of any kind where I couldn't fix it.

I was riding yesterday in some pretty high heat and just having a blast. I came upon a flagger where they were blocking traffic for about 5 minutes at a time so I shut her down . .when I went to restart it . .nothing . .NADA.

For those who have had battery failures in the past . .is this how they typically go bad? I guess I was used to the old days where you might not be able to start the motor but you could push start the thing to get rolling . .definately not an option here.

I'm 99% sure that my battery has gone bad but it really surprised me how "dead" my bike was . .even with a jump start it wouldn't run for very long. My simple attempt at a load test of the battery last night with a voltmeter seem to show the battery as the culprit but I'll do a real load test this morning after it's been on the charger all night to know for sure.

I don't know if that's a side effect of fuel injection and all the new "good stuff" but if it is then I'm seriously going to be looking for a carb'd non-computerized bike! (Just kidding . .but it does make you think)

FWIW - The battery is only a year and 1/2 old and it's an "Energizer" brand made by Johnson Controls. (always maintained with a proper "battery tender" charger)

I do have to say that my opinion of the local road crews went up significantly . .most of them must own Harley's as they were trying everything we could think of to get her back on the road. I finally had to call my next door neighbor for a trailer home. I guess I'll have to quit bashing his Concours for awhile.

Have a good one,
Dave

Old 07-24-2010, 07:13 AM
ThrusterK
Cruiser

I haven't had it happen to me but my brother did. He was leaving work, the bike started in the parking lot like normal. He stopped at the first red light, stalled it (which he was very embarrassed about) and the bike went completely dead. replaced the battery and it's been working great ever since.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:15 AM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While checking, Look into what caused a 1.5 yr old battery to die like that. They should last longer. I have a battery from Drag Specialitys and its almost 6 yrs old now and not a single problem.Two times I have been stranded have been from flat rear tires. Picked something up from the road caused that one time and just plain worn out caused the second one.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:24 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Sounds like the '71 Triumph Bonneville I use to own!

Old 07-24-2010, 07:28 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Sure hope it is an easy fix for you..

Old 07-24-2010, 07:32 AM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am gonna say it cause we do not *** u me anything. You did check and clean, maybe dielectric grease all connections at like battery and starter. Grounds too.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Dalbergia
Tourer

I can sympathize, I had my first (and hopefully last) stranded on the bike event a few weeks ago myself. In my case, the injectors had gone bad (weird story, but handled under warranty). I was stuck waiting for a tow in my work parking lot, which is nicer than being stuck in a construction zone.

We have customers who work for Johnson Controls, I never knew they sold batteries. I do know they don't like teasing about the name...

Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 AM
drifter27011
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Itch
Sure hope it is an easy fix for you..

+1 check all your elect. connections .

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM
walkerinin
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

My battery crapped out in the same way. Riding for hours, stopped to get gas...nothing. Had to be towed home. Replaced the (7 year old) battery and no problems since.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM
mudder
Tourer
Received 232 Likes on 74 Posts

I can believe the battery
seems about right for me
all I ever get out of a battery is 1 1/2 - 2 years
doesn't matter what I do or what kind I buy

Quick Reply: My baby left me stranded