General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chinese HD Boots

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 05:45 PM
hollowpoint
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Chinese HD Boots

My boy is a collage student with a summer vacation income. He loves to ride, but can only afford an old, dented, dependable Suzuki, & dreams of owning a Heritage.

With last week’s pay check, he proudly brought home a pair of Harley Davidson riding boots. It was an important investment for Sam, $ 140.

As I admired his new boots, I casually checked the tag— “Made in China”.

He bought them without checking their origin because he believed Harley Davidson provided USA quality, and today the sole is separating. He was satisfied for a week.

Now he is a pissed young man that will have trouble buying Harley Davidson.

Last edited by hollowpoint; 07-22-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:52 PM
2grouse
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

“Made in China”. it's the American way. I see Toyotas and Hondas with support your union sticker on them. If the boots were made here they'ld be 4 times as much.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM
RumRunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 2grouse
“Made in China”. it's the American way. I see Toyotas and Hondas with support your union sticker on them. If the boots were made here they'ld be 4 times as much.

It would be a deal if they cost 4 times as much and lasted 20 years like quality boots should, instead of lasting a week for $140.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:01 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

You can thank the greedy HD bourgeoisie. Maximum profits made from a communist country.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 2grouse
“Made in China”. it's the American way. I see Toyota's and Honda's with support your union sticker on them. If the boots were made here they'd be 4 times as much.
Most Honda's and Toyota's sold in the US are also built in the US by American workers. Most will say, "Yeah, but the profits are going back to Japan." That may be true but when I see how many Ford's and Chevy's (Chrysler doesn't count as an "American" company in my book any more ) are being built "outside" this country, taking jobs away from American workers, I don't have as much of a problem with that as I might have had at one time. I'm not anti union by any stretch but in my lifetime, I've seen too many cases were the unions were their own worst enemies so I don't totally blame the auto companies. Still.....we are far too deep in China's pockets for my taste, especially when you see the quality of what they're producing right now.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:05 PM
wb0zrd
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Take them back, give them a chance to make it right. They may be from China but that doesn't mean HD won't take care of you if you have a problem.

Paul in Colorado

Old 07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
LAMing
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly: Take them back. Give them a chance to make it right.

I have been REALLY doing this boot scene, and am learning that many, many of today's boots are made "overseas", even some of the iconic American labels.

One of the main things to check on any boot purchase is make SURE the soles are STITCHED to the boot and not just GLUED on. You have to check carefully, because some of them are molded to LOOK like stitchwork.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Last edited by LAMing; 07-22-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
drifter27011
Tourer

Originally Posted by wb0zrd
Take them back, give them a chance to make it right. They may be from China but that doesn't mean HD won't take care of you if you have a problem.

Paul in Colorado

+1 Give HD a chance to make it right.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Bike-R-Mike
Tourer

+2 , take them back and either get another pair or the money back .

Old 07-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Dog Father
Cruiser

I just checked my boots I got last month, Made in China. I am not really surprised though. Hopefully mine holdup a bit longer! So far so good!

Quick Reply: Chinese HD Boots