General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Advisory Panel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,167 Likes on 3,676 Posts
Default Harley Advisory Panel

Have any of you been contacted by e-mail to answer questions. from HD Advisory panel? They asked me what i tought about a tire pressure monitoring unit??? WTF... They also asked if offer for $350 would i upgrade to a 103 engine..???DUH!!! in the end they asked me for comments and i ranted about the HP numbers. heat issues...
I wonder if they read these comments and if they do , do they actually get to somebody who gives a rat's ***...

Old 07-22-2010, 02:04 PM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was invited to join about a year ago & did. All I ever got was a survey about once a month. I quit fooling with it & they stopped coming.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:37 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 760 Likes on 279 Posts

Hmm.... TPMS? I wonder if that's another thing that will be mandated for bikes soon. I believe there's a date by which all new cars have to have it.

Curious, though, how could that work with tube tires? Could that be an end to spoke rims?

edit for added info:

Tire Pressure Monitoring helps drivers to properly maintain their vehicle tires, improves vehicle safety and aid fuel efficiency. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in the US has estimated that 533 fatalities per annum are caused by tire defects in road accidents. Adding TPMS to all vehicles could avoid 120 of the 533 yearly victims and save as many as 8,400 injuries every year. Sécurité Routière (the French Institution for Road Safety) estimates that 9% of all fatal road accidents are attributable to tire under-inflation and the German DEKRA estimated that 41% of accidents with physical injuries are linked to tire problems. Tires leak air naturally and over a year a typical new tire can lose between 3 and 9 psi. As most drivers only check their tires at service intervals and when problems occur there is significant scope for fuel savings and efficiencies. Given this background and prompted by the Firestone recall (where one hundred deaths due to roll-overs were attributed to tire separation) the US Federal government has legislated for the mandatory use of TPMS. The TPMS mandated by the US law must warn the driver when a tire is under-inflated by as much as 25%.

Last edited by jamesw; 07-22-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:41 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by grandpawmoses
I was invited to join about a year ago & did. All I ever got was a survey about once a month. I quit fooling with it & they stopped coming.
Same here. I got invited after I bought my Heritage in '08. Did it for awhile and quit. Too long and too silly a survey plus I hoped to get a free gadget in the mail for participating. Boy was I naive.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:49 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I always fill them out. Told them I no longer owned a Harley, and they sent me another one

Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 PM
hincheec
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I fill them out occasionally. I was hoping also for some freebees or maybe a 20% off parts coupon... something....

Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
jamesw
Road Warrior
Received 760 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by schumacher
I always fill them out. Told them I no longer owned a Harley, and they sent me another one
They sent you another Harley???

Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

My wife fills them out,every once in a while she will ask mileage on the bikes or some other question and I will know what she is doing.We have gotten quite a bit of stuff from them over the years.They did use one thing I mentioned,that was to put the instruction sheets for what they sell below each part on their web site.

Old 07-22-2010, 03:24 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesw
They sent you another Harley???
heh....uh no, but I'd take a base 883

Old 07-22-2010, 04:22 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Have any of you been contacted by e-mail to answer questions. from HD Advisory panel? They asked me what i tought about a tire pressure monitoring unit??? WTF... They also asked if offer for $350 would i upgrade to a 103 engine..???DUH!!! in the end they asked me for comments and i ranted about the HP numbers. heat issues...
I wonder if they read these comments and if they do , do they actually get to somebody who gives a rat's ***...
They also politely asked you to keep it confidential.

Quick Reply: Harley Advisory Panel